Taxes – Resources
As a service member or eligible family member, you can take advantage of several resources and services that can make tax time easier. Tap into free tax and financial counseling, secure online tax preparation and filing, and information through Military OneSource and other trusted resources.
Military OneSource MilTax
Eligible service members, spouses and survivors have access to Military OneSource MilTax, a suite of tax services that include:
- Easy-to-use, convenient and free MilTax preparation and e-filing software with free assistance from MilTax consultants.
- In-person help with tax preparation at Volunteer Income Tax Assistance, or VITA, locations.
- Military-specific information on your tax questions.
- Assistance filing a tax extension.
- Articles, information and resources to take the hassle out of tax time.
If you have any personal tax-related questions, call 800-342-9647 to speak with a Military OneSource MilTax consultant. OCONUS/International? Click here for calling options.
Armed Forces’ Tax Guide
- Learn about tax deductions, benefits and credits available to service members. Take a look at the Internal Revenue Service’s detailed Armed Forces’ Tax Guide
The Personal Financial Management Program
- The Personal Financial Management Program is an installation-based program offered by each of the services.
- Counselors provide education and counseling services on things like retirement planning, banking, budgeting, record keeping and more.
Military Financial Readiness Program
- Check out the Military Financial Readiness Program offered by the nonprofit FINRA Investor Education Foundation.
- The program provides free, unbiased financial education tools and training to service members, their spouses and others via several initiatives.
- Get and download your military W-2 from myPay. It is posted there before being mailed to you.
- Other tax forms are available on the Internal Revenue Service website, or you can pick them up from your local post office or library.
- Check out the practical and useful articles on the Military OneSource Taxes topic page, such as “Tax Filing Made Simple” and “How to Deal With Special Tax Considerations.”
MilTax and other Military OneSource resources help military members and their families take command of their taxes and be the best guardian of their finances and families.