- Military Basics
- Transitioning & Retiring
- Casualty Assistance
- Moving & PCS
- Housing & Living
- Recreation, Travel & Shopping
- Special Needs
- Health & Wellness
- Safety From Violence & Abuse
- Financial & Legal
- Education & Employment
- National Guard
- Benefits & Resources
- I am a…
- Confidential Help
24/7/365 Access to Support
No matter where you serve or live, free and confidential help is available.
- In Crisis?
- Veterans/Military Crisis Line
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- DOD Safe Helpline - Sexual Assault Support
- 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline
- Domestic Abuse Victim Advocate Locator - Family Advocacy Program
In the United States, call 911 if you are in an emergency.
For those outside the United States, call your local emergency number.
Dec. 6, 202138 Minutes
Contact Military OneSource
Information and support for service members and their families. About the Call Center.
Preparing for Separation or Retirement From the Military
Getting prepared to separate or retire from the military is critical for a smooth transition, particularly if you have a family member with special needs. Whether you’re transitioning out after one enlistment or multiple enlistments, or retiring after 20 years or more, being prepared and having a plan in place can help ease the transition to civilian life for your family. Starting early is critical, as is knowing how to find resources and where to go for assistance when you need it.
This episode is part of the Office of Special Needs EFMP Podcast.
- EFMP & Me: Checklists including: Planning for Separation and Retirement, Separation and Retirement: Transitioning Your Family’s Medical Care and Long-Term and Financial Planning
- EFMP Family Support
- Office of Special Needs EFMP podcast series, Legal and Long-Term Financial Planning
- DODTap Transition Assistance Program
- Transition Assistance Programs and Resources
- Adult Children’s Benefit Brochure
- Health Insurance Coverage Considerations for Transitioning Military Families
- Special Needs Considerations When You Separate or Retire From the Military
- Financial Planning for Transition
- MySECO education and employment portal
- Veteran’s Employment and Training Services — Military Spouses
- Veteran’s Employment and Training Services — Find a Job
- Military Life Cycle Resources
- Get Retirement Ready With This Checklist
- Military Journey Touchpoints
- Establishing the Secondary Dependency of an Incapacitated Child
Experts share information for military families with special needs members.