Family Separation Allowance is an additional pay given to service members whose family members cannot live with or near them at their permanent duty station. FSA can be provided at locations both inside and outside the United States. FSA compensates service members for added expenses because the family was separated.
- Military Basics
- Transitioning & Retiring
- Casualty Assistance
- Moving & PCS
- Housing & Living
- Recreation, Travel & Shopping
- Special Needs
- Health & Wellness
- Safety From Violence & Abuse
- Financial & Legal
- Education & Employment
- I am a…
- Benefits & Resources
- Confidential Help
24/7/365 Access to Support
No matter where you serve or live, free and confidential help is available.
- In Crisis?
- Veterans/Military Crisis Line
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- DOD Safe Helpline - Sexual Assault Support
- 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline
- Domestic Abuse Victim Advocate Locator - Family Advocacy Program
In the United States, call 911 if you are in an emergency.
For those outside the United States, call your local emergency number.
- Browse By Program/Office
- Casualty & Mortuary Affairs
- Child & Youth Advocacy
- Children, Youth & Family Programs
- Commissary, Military Exchange & Lodging
- Family Advocacy Program
- Military Community Support Programs
- Military & Family Life Counseling
- Military Funeral Honors
- Morale, Welfare & Recreation (MWR)
- Office of Special Needs
- Personnel Accountability & Evacuations Operations
- Spouse Education & Career Opportunities
Contact Military OneSource
Information and support for service members and their families. About the Call Center.
How this benefit helps
This benefit helps service members and their families pay for additional costs that result from living in separate locations.
FSA can help cover costs of living apart
Having your family members live apart from you can come with some additional costs. FSA helps to offset these costs.
How to access this benefit
To apply for FSA, you will need to submit a DD Form 1561, Statement to Substantiate Payment of Family Separation Allowance, to your servicing personnel office. You can find your installation’s Personnel Support Office contact information through MilitaryINSTALLATIONS.