My Military
OneSource App


PCS Entitlements

Benefit overview

When moving, you will be given a list of the amount and types of items you are allowed to move, generally referred to as your entitlements. Your local transportation office will talk you through your specific entitlements during your individual counseling session, but the information below provides an overview of what will be covered.

Image of Moving Boxes

Note: First time movers, separating service members and retirees must contact their local personal property office to obtain information on their specific entitlements.

Your moving allowance

Moving allowance generally refers to the overall weight of your household goods. The rank specified on your job/travel orders will be used to determine your total weight allowance. In general, as your rank increases, so does your moving allowance. Any cost to move additional items/weight above your moving allowance will be charged to you after delivery, so work hard to make sure you stay within your weight allowance.

Image of Legal Affairs Scale

Weight estimator tool

Need help determining how much your household goods shipment might weigh? Use the U.S. Transportation Command weight estimator tool to discover the average weight of standard household items and get an estimated calculation to compare with your entitlement allowance.

PCS weight allowances

The average weight allowances for a PCS are based on rank, dependency status and move type. Special circumstances, like moving overseas/OCONUS, a retirement move or a separation move, may have extra entitlements and/or limitations. Each branch of service may also offer different allowances too, so be sure to check with your local transportation office to confirm these amounts.

TDY weight allowances

If you are going on a temporary duty, or TDY, your approving official may authorize you to ship a small amount of household goods, including some of your professional gear and medical equipment. The weight allowances in the chart below are in addition to any unaccompanied or accompanied baggage. Furthermore, in the event the TDY location becomes the permanent duty station, this would mean that the TDY weight allowance would also be an additional allowance to any PCS weight entitlements.

Note: Civilian employees with authorization from the approving official on an extended TDY assignment may ship up to 350 pounds. This unaccompanied baggage is limited to additional clothing, personal effects and equipment directly related to the mission, locality or unusual conditions of the assignment.

Special entitlement information

In addition to weight, there are guidelines or allowances for special items/belongings. The information below is designed to help you understand these allowances and provide more direction.

While considerable effort was taken to ensure the following information is accurate, ultimately the Joint Travel Regulation is the authority for entitlements for all service members and civilians. Check with your branch of service or agency for supplemental regulations or guidance in addition to the JTR.

Image of Moving Truck

Local transportation office

Reach out to your local transportation office if you need clarification on any of these points or just want to make sure you understand the official entitlement rules.

For OCONUS: If you are traveling OCONUS, contact your local transportation office to double check this entitlement guidance. Certain OCONUS locations have additional restrictions due to customs restrictions or base policy.

  • Pets or animals are allowed if they are travelling with you at your expense. Your moving company cannot ship any live animals as part of your move.
  • To learn more about transporting your pet visit the AMC Pet Travel Page.
  • You can transport firearms as part of your total household goods shipment, assuming that it complies with all local and state laws. If you intend to self-transport firearms in your vehicle, make sure you do not carry your weapon on your person and check all the laws of every state you intend to drive through to your new duty station.
  • For OCONUS: You can transport firearms as part of your total household goods shipment, assuming that it abides by all the laws of your host country and your new country. When returning to the United States, you must identify firearms on your individual customs forms and obtain an ATF Form 6. You can download the ATF Form 6 for military personnel and for ATF Form 6 for civilians. Allow up to six weeks for processing. It is recommended you contact your local transportation office for assistance.

Shipment instructions

  • Make the firearm inoperable by removing the bolt, firing pin, trigger assembly and other arming parts.
  • Remove all ammunition from your firearms. You cannot ship any privately owned live ammunition in your household goods shipment.
  • Remove all firearms from your safe to allow for separate packaging during shipment and storage.
  • Ensure the firearm information is written on the inventory including make, model, serial number, unique characteristics, caliber or gauge. Make sure to hand carry a copy of this information with you.

Related Forms

  • You can ship alcohol as part of your total household goods shipment, assuming that the alcohol you are shipping doesn’t violate any international customs or state-specific import laws. Whether you’re moving to the United States with a wine collection or importing alcohol for your personal use, you should always check the alcohol import requirements from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection or the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau.
  • For OCONUS: It is your responsibility to verify any alcohol restrictions associated with your new duty station. Additionally, any fees associated with importing alcohol to your new duty station will be your responsibility.
  • If you are assigned to a permanent duty station in a remote location listed in the Authorized Consumable Goods Allowance, you can ship up to 1,250 pounds of suitable consumable goods per a tour year assignment (i.e. 12-month tour – 1,250 lbs.; 18-month tour – 1,875 lbs.).
  • Consumable goods must be packed, marked and weighed separately.
  • Contact your local transportation office for more details.
  • You are responsible for any costs associated with disconnecting appliances.
  • If you have a front-loading washing machine you should have the original shipping/stabilizer bolts, spacers and wrenches that are used to secure the machine for transport. If you don’t have the original bolts, make sure you let your moving company know during your pre-move inspection.
  • You are responsible for any pre- or post-move expenses related to your TV such as disconnection/dismounting and reconnection/remounting.
  • Subject to approval, crating charges may only apply to flat screen televisions in excess of a 75-inch diagonal screen size. Contact your local transportation office for more information.
  • The moving company is responsible for wrapping and packing your TV.
  • Make sure you inform your moving company if your TV is a plasma display type, because it must be shipped upright.
  • For OCONUS: There is no additional compensation for flat/curved screen televisions with a 75-inch diagonal screen size or less. Subject to your local transportation office approval, crating charges may only apply to flat/curved screen televisions in excess of a 75-inch diagonal screen size.
  • If you are moving from a spongy moth quarantined area to a non-quarantine area, you must inspect your outdoor household items for the spongy moth before you move.
  • If you find the spongy moth on any of your belongings, you must treat it before your move. You can use the USDA’s Spongy Moth Guide to help you know what to look for on your belongings.
  • For OCONUS: If traveling to an international location, make sure you check with your host installation relating to any other agriculture-related procedures that might affect your shipment.

You may have an entitlement to ship or store one POV at government expense when you receive permanent change of station orders. The Defense Department has a Global POV Contract that services many installations around the world.

For CONUS to CONUS moves

  • The cost of transporting your POVs to your new duty station is largely your responsibility for a CONUS to CONUS move. There are exceptions, so always contact your local transportation office (for military members) or human resources office (for civilian employees) if you’re unsure.
  • The military will reimburse you for mileage and some travel costs. This entitlement is Monetary Allowance in Lieu of Transportation, or MALT, and includes a per diem allowance too. Contact your personnel office for more information. Civilian employees should contact their human resources office for permanent change of station allowance questions.
  • If you decide not to drive your POV to your next duty station, you would become responsible for all transportation costs for shipping that vehicle.
  • If you can’t drive from your previous CONUS duty station to the new CONUS location because of medical or personal reasons or if the travel time exceeds your report-in date, contact your local transportation office for assistance.


  • Only one POV owned or leased for personal use may be shipped at government expense. There may be exceptions, so check with your local transportation office if you have questions.
  • The government will ship one POV measuring 20 metric tons or less. If your POV is larger than 20 MT, you may be required to pay the excess shipping costs. There are exceptions to the size limitation, so please contact your local transportation office if you have questions about shipping or storing an oversized vehicle.
  • If you have a unique situation or want to make your own arrangements to ship more than one POV to your new duty station, contact your local transportation office.

Shipment Instructions

  • Go to to schedule an appointment, find a vehicle processing center for POV turn-in or pick-up, and view POV documentation requirements for these shipments. All vehicle processing centers are by appointment only.
  • Ensure your POV does not have any unresolved recalls for electrical or fire related items. You must provide documented proof of no open recalls at the time of turn in.
  • Clean your POV inside and out while making sure the interior is dry. Further cleanliness details can be found on the website.
  • Make sure that your POV has ¼ tank of fuel or less when you turn it in for shipping or storage.
  • Additional shipping information can be found at
  • For CONUS: Motorcycles and dirt bikes can be shipped as household goods. That weight is included in your total authorized household goods weight. You may be able to ship a motorcycle as a POV to some locations. Check with your local transportation office if you have questions.
  • For OCONUS: One motorcycle can be transported as a POV. If you ship your motorcycle or dirt bike as household goods, the weight is included in your total household goods weight.
  • Check the country requirements before you ship your motorcycle or dirt bike overseas. There may be import restrictions or prohibitions for bringing your specific motorcycle or dirt bike into the country you’re moving to. Contact your local transportation office if you have questions.

Shipment Instructions

  • Motorcycle(s) shall be drained of all the gasoline and battery removed prior to pick-up for storage.
  • Drain the bike of fuel. Carbureted models must be drained down to reserve.
  • Disconnect battery and tape ends with electrical tape.
  • Properly inflate tires and repair any fluid leaks (oil, transmission, fuel) as applicable.
  • Empty saddlebags. Helmets, saddlebags and windshields can stay on the bike provided these items are securely strapped to the bike.
  • Unlock bike so that it can be rolled on and off the moving truck.
  • The weight of any spare POV parts will be included in your total authorized household goods weight.
  • Examples of spare POV parts might include a car engine, transmission, seats, tops, winch, spare tires, portable gas cans, GPS devices, CD players and other items that could be misplaced or stolen.
  • The weight of any utility trailer will be included in your total authorized household goods weight.
  • Trailers must have a single axle, overall length no more than 12 feet and less than 8 feet wide (outside tire to outside tire).
  • The side rails/body must be less than 28 inches (unless detachable) and the ramp/gate for the trailer can be no higher than 4 feet (unless detachable).

These vehicles include mopeds, hang gliders, ATVs, golf carts, snowmobiles, etc.

  • The weight of any miscellaneous vehicles will be included in your total authorized household goods weight.
  • These items may ship with their associated trailer if applicable.
  • If applicable, the vehicles should be drained of fuel prior to shipment.
  • Single-occupant ultra-vehicles must weigh under 155 pounds (unpowered) or 254 pounds (powered) and have a fuel capacity not to exceed five gallons, airspeed NTE 55 knots and/or a power-off stall speed NTE 24 knots.

These items include canoes, skiffs, sailboats, light rowboats, kayaks, jet skis, sculls, etc.

For CONUS moves

  • Boats 14 feet in length, 6 feet 10 inches in width and 6 feet 5 inches in height or less will be shipped as part of your household goods. Boats over 14 feet long are shipped using the Boat One Time Only process. To schedule a shipment for boats over 14 feet, contact your local transportation office.
  • You will be 100 percent responsible for any accessorial service charges, such as special packing, crating, handling and boat transportation fees, incurred as well as any excess cost that comes from exceeding your maximum weight allowance.
  • It is highly suggested that you consider doing a personally procured move, or PPM, shipment for your boat. In this option, the government will either pay you to move your boat or you have the ability to select your own commercial boat hauler. Contact your local transportation office for an estimate.

Shipment Instructions

  • Make sure your trailer has a valid license. If the origin state does not require a license, a transit permit may be required at your expense in order for the boat hauler to transport the boat trailer.
  • The trailer must have good tires, working lights, wiring and brakes.
  • The trailer frame cannot be bent, twisted or broken.
  • Remove any valuable items from the boat before shipment, such as clothing, TVs, skis and similar items.
  • Lower or remove all antennas, masts, fishing/trolling poles and outriggers.

For OCONUS moves

  • Any boat and/or trailer that fits into a standard overseas container, such as canoes, kayaks, rowboats and jet skis, can be shipped with your household goods.
  • For larger boats, you will need to contact your local transportation office so that they can determine the price and schedule a separate shipment with a commercial boat hauler. You will be responsible for excess cost. (See above.)
  • Residential boat moves are complicated. It is recommended that you visit your local transportation office before scheduling anything online.
  • In general, you can move your boat yourself and receive reimbursement for the ACTUAL transportation cost (with no household goods shipment) OR you can have the government arrange to move your boat and have the government pay up to what it would cost to ship the boat’s weight as household goods up to your entitlement level.

Mobile home moves are complicated and may be subject to special approval on a case-by-case basis. Contact your local transportation office for more details about moving a mobile home or tiny house.

  • Pro-gear can include books or military reference materials; professional tools for your job, including instruments; specialized clothing; military communication equipment; individually owned or issued gear; or clothing.
  • Service members can move up to 2,000 pounds of professional gear, and spouses can move up to 500 pounds of professional gear.

Learn about military bases worldwide. Get installation overviews, check-in procedures, housing, neighborhood information, contacts for programs and services, photos and more.

Find an Installation