MilParent Power is Help for Parents
MilParent Power offers helpful information and practical tools to help busy military parents build family togetherness, readiness and resilience.
Parenting requires smarts, skills, and focus— it's an "always-on" job that takes time to master. Parents are always learning, and that growth helps you and your family become stronger together.
MilParent Power helps you can find tools, information, hacks and more to:
- Be informed and prepared. Learn more about child development and behaviors, and how you can support your child through each stage of development.
- Build your parenting skills. We’ve gathered insights from experts in the fields of child development, early learning, psychology and more. And we’ve translated them into easy-to-understand tips and guidance for your information or action.
- Tap into a community that supports you. The military community is also a parenting community, and there are lots of ways you can find the benefits and resources you need, around the clock.
Engage with, bookmark and share our tips and key resources so you and other MilParents can score a #MilParentWin every day.
Specialized programs and support from the military, for the military
- Military OneSource Confidential Help provides confidential non-medical counseling, specialty parenting consultations and other services.
- Military and Family Life Counseling Program provides face-to-face, confidential non-medical counseling, briefings and presentations for parents both on and off military installations.
- The New Parent Support Program offers home visits, classes, resource materials, playgroups and a network of support for new parents.
- Parenting for Service Members for The National Center for Telehealth and Technology is an anonymous, online self-help course. It provides military parents with tools and practical advice to help them reconnect with their families after a separation, strengthen relationships with their children and build upon their existing parenting skills.
- The Family Advocacy Program works to prevent child abuse and neglect and ensures the safety of abuse victims and recovery of military families.
- Pregnancy and New Parent Knowledge Management Program is a program from the Department of Defense and TRICARE that offers expecting families weekly emails about their care and what to expect.
- Exceptional Family Member Program offers assistance and resources for military family members with special needs.
- Morale, Welfare and Recreation Program is your source for family fun, leisure and entertainment.
- The Family Readiness System is a network of programs and agencies that promotes your family's readiness and quality of life.
- Military child care programs is a guide to quality, affordable child care in your community.
- Military youth and teen programs provide options for wholesome experiences and activities for military kids year-round.
Additional News and Resources for Parents
- Just in Time Parenting is a free parenting newsletter designed to deliver information specific to your child’s age and needs directly to your inbox.
- Zero to Three works to ensure that babies and toddlers benefit from the early connections that are critical to their well-being and development.
- Birth to Five: Watch me Thrive! encourages healthy child development and support for the families and providers who care for them.
- Safe to Sleep provides information, materials and tips to ensure parents follow safe sleeping situations and positions for infants and babies.
- FOCUS, or Families OverComing Under Stress, is a program designed to help prepare families like yours in readiness for tomorrow. FOCUS services are available through the virtual TeleFOCUS program, allowing couples and families to meet with a FOCUS Provider using video teleconference. FOCUS Mobile resources are also available for families on the go.
- Centers for Disease Control Positive Parenting Tips provides tips and information on child development, positive parenting, safety and more.
Podcasts, Multimedia Tools and More
- Military OneSource “Ages and Stages” podcast directs you to resources where you can get concise information about your child’s development to help you know what to expect from every stage.
- Military OneSource Sesame Street Products are multimedia outreach resources that leverage the power of the beloved Sesame Street Muppets to tackle difficult subjects such as deployments, divorce and grief.
- Parenting Skills for the Single Service Member is a webinar that highlights the single parents’ personal expectations, positive discipline and communication techniques, family separation and support systems.
- How Military Families Can Build Resilience offers tips on enhancing resilience and family readiness.
- Effective Discipline for School-Age Children: Ages 6 Through 9 is a webinar that reviews the stages of development and explores effective discipline methods for shaping behaviors with children ages 6 through 9.
Military OneSource’s MilParent Power connects you to your best MilLife.