Master Your Taxes With Military OneSource MilTax
Taking command of your taxes is easy with Military OneSource MilTax, a suite of free tax services provided by the Department of Defense, designed exclusively for our military community to take the hassle out of tax time. Tailored for military life, MilTax offers:
- Secure and free tax preparation and e-filing software that’s designed to leave no military service tax deduction or credit unclaimed, available mid-January through mid-October
- Easy access to tax consultants with military expertise to answer your specific questions on military survivor tax forgiveness, filing extensions and more
- Free in-person tax preparation and assistance through MilTax-approved Volunteer Income Tax Assistance offices
- Quick access to other valuable services and resources, such as financial counselors, helpful articles and online resources
- Multiple, convenient ways to access MilTax benefits and resources.
Service members, including members of the National Guard and reserves, immediate family members, and eligible survivors can access MilTax to make quick work of tax time. No need to pay for outside tax assistance and tax preparation software, going it alone or risk missing specific military tax breaks. MilTax is made for military life, so you get more.
Watch now to learn how you can take command of your taxes with MilTax:
Get free, secure tax preparation and e-filing software
From mid-January to mid-October, use MilTax e-filing software to prepare and file your taxes online. The secure and confidential software, accessed through the Military OneSource website, walks you through a series of questions to help you accurately complete your tax return. The software is tailored to military life – addressing scenarios that civilians rarely encounter, from combat pay to multiple moves, so you get all the tax deductions and credits you deserve. This is a benefit you’ve earned through your military service.
You can work anytime, anywhere, at your own pace. Plus, calculations are guaranteed to be 100 percent accurate by the software provider.
Call for easy access to specialized support
Ready when you are. In addition to accessing MilTax e-filing software anytime, anywhere, you can also call a trained MilTax consultant during tax season (January through April 15) seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. EST or EDT at 800-342-9647. After April 15, trained tax consultants are available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. EDT. Call anytime to schedule a free appointment.
MilTax can help you connect the dots like no other resource can. That’s because MilTax consultants have extensive military expertise. They can alert you to tax requirements and deductions, maximize refunds and assist you in completing forms. MilTax consultants can address special tax considerations, including:
- Military survivor benefits and tax forgiveness
- Inheritance tax issues
- College tax breaks
- Tax extensions.
Call for a tax consultation today. It’s no cost, regardless of your rank or income.
Find in-person tax assistance near you
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance, or VITA, program offers free in-person tax preparation and assistance at locations near you or your installation’s Legal Assistance office worldwide. Find the VITA program site nearest you. You have several ways to file and access help at these locations:
- Self-file using MilTax e-filing software at a kiosk where available
- Work with a trained tax professional on site, or
- Arrange to drop off your paperwork and come back to e-file when your return is ready.
Get fast access to other valuable services and resources
MilTax also provides quick access to other valuable services and resources, including:
- Referrals to financial counselors, who can help you manage your refunds and put you on a path to financial security
- Helpful articles with valuable information tailored to military life, including “Tax Filing Made Simple” and “Filing Taxes When a Service Member is Deployed.”
MilTax serves those who serve. As a military member, you and your family are eligible for these exclusive resources. Connect with Military OneSource MilTax by calling 800-342-9647, or visit a local VITA office on your installation or nearby.