- Military Basics
- Transitioning & Retiring
- Casualty Assistance
- Moving & PCS
- Housing & Living
- Recreation, Travel & Shopping
- Special Needs
- Health & Wellness
- Safety From Violence & Abuse
- Financial & Legal
- Education & Employment
- I am a…
- Benefits & Resources
- Confidential Help
24/7/365 Access to Support
No matter where you serve or live, free and confidential help is available.
- In Crisis?
- Veterans/Military Crisis Line
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- DOD Safe Helpline - Sexual Assault Support
- 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline
- Domestic Abuse Victim Advocate Locator - Family Advocacy Program
In the United States, call 911 if you are in an emergency.
For those outside the United States, call your local emergency number.
- Browse By Program/Office
- Casualty & Mortuary Affairs
- Child & Youth Advocacy
- Children, Youth & Family Programs
- Commissary, Military Exchange & Lodging
- Family Advocacy Program
- Military Community Support Programs
- Military & Family Life Counseling
- Military Funeral Honors
- Morale, Welfare & Recreation (MWR)
- Office of Special Needs
- Personnel Accountability & Evacuations Operations
- Spouse Education & Career Opportunities
Contact Military OneSource
Information and support for service members and their families. About the Call Center.
Taxes — Resources
As a service member or eligible family member, you can take advantage of several resources and services that can make tax time easier. Tap into 100% free tax and financial counseling, secure online preparation and free tax filing, and information through Military OneSource and other trusted resources.
Military OneSource MilTax
Eligible service members, spouses and survivors have access to Military OneSource MilTax, a suite of free military tax services that includes:
Take charge of your taxes.
Don’t let surprises follow you into the new year. MilTax is here to support you in navigating the tax filing season.
- Easy-to-use, convenient software for preparing and e-filing federal and up to three free state tax returns. MilTax consultants are available to answer your tax questions.
- In-person help with tax preparation at Volunteer Income Tax Assistance locations.
- Military-specific information on your tax questions.
- Assistance filing a tax extension.
- Articles, information and resources to take the hassle out of tax time, including how to make the most of your tax refund.
With MilTax, there are no hidden surprises. MilTax services are always 100% free, including online tax preparation, federal and state filing, and support from MilTax consultants when you have questions. Call 800-342-9647 to schedule an appointment with a Military OneSource MilTax consultant or connect via live chat. OCONUS/International? View calling options.
Armed Forces’ Tax Guide
- Learn about tax deductions, benefits and credits available to service members. Take a look at the Internal Revenue Service’s detailed Armed Forces’ Tax Guide.
The Personal Financial Management Program
- The Personal Financial Management Program is an installation-based program offered by each of the services.
- Counselors provide education and counseling services on things like retirement planning, banking, budgeting, record keeping and more.
Military Financial Readiness Project
- Check out the Military Financial Readiness Project offered by the nonprofit FINRA Investor Education Foundation.
- The program provides free, unbiased financial education tools and training to service members, their spouses and others via several initiatives.
- Get and download your military W-2 from myPay. It is posted there before being mailed to you.
- Other tax forms are available on the IRS website, or you can pick them up from your local post office or library.
- Check out the practical and useful articles for you and your family on the Military OneSource Taxes topic page — such as Making Tax Filing Simple and Working in the Gig Economy: Taxes on Self-Employment. If your teenager is new to the working world, the Office of Financial Readiness has some tips to introduce your teenager to taxes.
MilTax and other Military OneSource resources help military members and their families take command of their taxes. Call 800-342-9647 to schedule an appointment with a MilTax consultant or connect via live chat. OCONUS/International? View calling options.