Exceptional Family Member Program Family Support
Exceptional Family Member Program Family Support provides information, resources, skills and support to help military families with special needs navigate their systems of care. As families gain confidence, they become effective advocates for themselves and their family members, improving the quality of life.
Introducing EFMP & Me
Military families with special needs can explore services and supports. Use this personalized tool as your guide. Online, 24/7.
What is Exceptional Family Member Program Family Support?
Exceptional Family Member Family Support helps service members and their families identify and access programs and services. This includes, but isn't limited to, the following:
- Information and referrals for military and community services
- Education and outreach
- Information about available local school and early intervention services
- Warm handoffs to the Exceptional Family Member Program at new locations
- Non-clinical case management, including individualized services plans
What is information and referral? Information and referral includes:
- Helping families determine which community resources are appropriate to meet their needs
- Helping families effectively access resources, services and programs
- Following up to verify that families have connected with support services
- Checking with families about the effectiveness of resources
- Helping families work with TRICARE and access the extended care health option when appropriate.
What is non-clinical case management?
Non-clinical case management involves the following:
- Providing information and referrals to families and the people who help them make informed decisions and navigate resources
- Working together to improve families' quality of life by assisting the family with developing a Family Services Plan (this doesn't involve medical treatment coordination or follow-up)
What is the family support provider's role?
The family support provider's role includes the following:
- Helping families on the path to empowerment by providing information and referral services, non-medical case management, training and other forms of support, such as opportunities for families to connect around a common need or concern
- Helping relocating families pinpoint and navigate formal programs and services and informal supports, which may have a different title in the new state or fall under a different agency
- Bridging gaps in programs, services and supports, and helping families understand what's offered, how to determine eligibility and how to apply for benefits and entitlements
How do families access family support?
Access Exceptional Family Member Program family support by visiting or calling your local installation Military and Family Support Center, or by contacting Military OneSource at 800-342-9647 and asking for a referral to a special needs consultant.
The EFMP Resources, Options and Consultations, or ROC, provides ready, one-source access to specialized resources, options and customized consultations for military families with special needs.
You can schedule an appointment by calling 800-342-9647, by live chat or phone. Appointments are available seven days a week. One call or chat puts you in touch with a wealth of support.
Consult EFMP Family Support Reference Guide for additional information.
Learn more with the Parent Support Toolkit.