Moves are part of military life – an opportunity to experience new places, people and challenges. No matter where you’re headed next, Military OneSource stands ready to support you, referring you to financial and logistical benefits to make your move as smooth as possible. Here are some of the moving benefits you can enjoy as a service member.
Travel and relocation allowances
The Department of Defense provides travel and relocation allowances to assist you with moving expenses.
- Per diem reimburses you for meals and lodging while en route to your new duty station and is based on a 350-mile per day travel distance.
- Monetary allowance in lieu of transportation, or mileage, is paid when you or your family drive to your new duty station.
- Dislocation allowance, or DLA, which helps with miscellaneous moving costs, is paid generally once per permanent change of station.
- Advances are basic pay to help cover your basic allowances for housing, overseas housing allowance or moving-related expenses if your finances get stretched to the max.
Temporary lodging allowances and expenses
- Temporary lodging allowance, or TLA, is meant to partially offset the costs of temporary lodging and meals while you wait for housing outside the continental U.S. for a maximum of 60 days upon arrival and 10 days when leaving.
- Temporary lodging expense, or TLE, is meant to partially offset the costs of temporary lodging and meals during moves within the continental U.S. and is payable for up to five days.
Shipment of household goods
- The government pays for you to ship your household goods authorized at a weight limit based on your rank and family status.
- Unaccompanied baggage is usually delivered separately when you report to your new station but is still part of your weight limit.
- See Move.mil for a Weight Allowance Table and Weight Estimator that estimates the total weight of your shipments.
Personal Financial Management Programs
- The experts at your local personal financial management program can help you with budget planning and financial guidance.
- They offer classes, seminars, one-on-one counseling and additional information to educate service members and their families about consumer rights and financial stability.
Defense Travel Management Office
- Visit the Defense Travel Management Office for current allowance tables, per diem rates and tools to help you plan your move.
Relocation Assistance Program
- The relocation assistance program can connect you with information on housing and moving allowances.
Confidential, Non-medical Counseling
- Military OneSource offers free, confidential non-medical counseling to discuss adjustment difficulties or ways to manage relocation stress.
- You can connect with a counselor to schedule an appointment 24/7 over the phone, in person, via secure online live chat or via secure video sessions.
- You are eligible for up to 12 sessions.