To help meet the growing and diverse needs of military parents, the Department of Defense is proud to offer an expanded child care service. Through Military OneSource, military families have access to a nationally recognized caregiver database to search for hourly, flexible and on-demand child care. Learn more in these frequently asked questions and answers.
The nationally recognized online subscription service enables parents to:
- Access an online database of more than a million care providers
- Use the subscription service without paying any fees
- Search for care that meets their own needs and criteria
- Choose how to interview, hire and pay providers
The Department of Defense recognizes that military families’ child care needs vary and offers this expanded service in response to requests for hourly, flexible and on-demand child care
Families can visit the Expanded Hourly Child Care Options page on Military OneSource. They use their existing Military OneSource account or create one to get a unique subscription code and establish their child care service account.
This service is available as a 30-day subscription, but once an individual creates an account it does not expire during the period Military OneSource provides this service. It is accessible at any time.
There is no need to renew. Families can continue to access the child care service using the login they created during registration.
This offering covers only the cost of the subscription. Service and family members will arrange payment terms and method directly with the care provider.
Parents can use the company’s screening process, which includes secure messaging, interview booking and background-check options. If the provider does not offer background checks or there are additional associated costs, the family will need to negotiate with the provider. The Department of Defense does not cover those costs.
Yes. The online service is available in addition to existing child care options such as:
- Finding on-installation care through MilitaryChildCare.com: This Department of Defense online request-for-care system helps families in any service branch find and request military-operated child care anywhere in the world including facility-based or home-based child care programs, before- and after-school care and camps
- Receiving child care fee assistance for off-installation care through Child Care Aware of America
- Families can also check with their local installation child development center about child care options, or speak with a Military OneSource consultant who can provide options based on specific child care needs. Consultants are available 24/7/365 by calling 800-342-9647. OCONUS dialing options and live chat are also available.