- Military Life Cycle
- Family & Relationships
- Moving & Housing
- Financial & Legal
- Education & Employment
- Health & Wellness
- Recreation, Travel & Shopping
- Service Providers & Leaders
- Benefits & Resources
- I am a…
- Confidential Help
24/7/365 Access to Support
No matter where you serve or live, free and confidential help is available.
- In Crisis?
In the United States, call 911 if you are in an emergency.
For those outside the United States, call your local emergency number.
Contact Military OneSource
Information and support for service members and their families. About the Call Center.
To help meet the growing and diverse needs of military parents, the Defense Department is proud to offer an expanded child care service. Through Military OneSource, military families have access to a nationally recognized caregiver database to search for hourly, flexible and on-demand child care. Learn more in these frequently asked questions and answers.What does the child care service do for military parents?
The nationally recognized online subscription service enables parents to:
Why is the service available now?
- Access an online database of more than a million care providers
- Use the subscription service without paying any fees
- Search for care that meets their own needs and criteria
- Choose how to interview, hire and pay providers
The Defense Department recognizes that military families’ child care needs vary and offers this expanded service in response to requests for hourly, flexible and on-demand child care.How do families access this new service?
Families can visit the Expanded Hourly Child Care Options page on Military OneSource. They use their existing Military OneSource account or create one to get a unique subscription code and establish their child care service account.Who is eligible to access this service?How long will access to this service last?
This service is available as a 30-day subscription, but once an individual creates an account it does not expire during the period Military OneSource provides this service. It is accessible at any time.After the monthly membership is complete, how do families renew?
There is no need to renew. Families can continue to access the child care service using the login they created during registration.Does this offering cover any portion of child care or just the subscription fee?
This offering covers only the cost of the subscription. Service and family members will arrange payment terms and method directly with the care provider.Does this service cover the cost of background checks?
Parents can use the company’s screening process, which includes secure messaging, interview booking and background-check options. If the provider does not offer background checks or there are additional associated costs, the family will need to negotiate with the provider. The Defense Department does not cover those costs.Are there other military child care options in addition to the expanded hourly child care service?
Yes. The online service is available in addition to these existing child care options for families:
- Find on-installation care through MilitaryChildCare.com. This Defense Department online request-for-care system helps families in any service branch find and request military-operated child care anywhere in the world including facility-based or home-based child care programs, before- and after-school care and camps.
- Child care fee assistance for off-installation care is available for eligible families through Child Care Aware® of America.
- Check with local installation child development centers about on-installation child care options.
- Find out if the DOD In-Home Child Care Fee Assistance program is available. Furthering its commitment to support service members and military families in securing child care that fits their family’s needs, the DOD has initiated this program to provide fee assistance for families who have determined that full-time, in-home child care is the best solution to meet their needs. The pilot is available in select regions only.
- Speak with a Military OneSource consultant who can provide options based on specific child care needs. Consultants are available 24/7/365. Call 800-342-9647, view OCONUS dialing options or set up live chat.