As a military member, you have several resources available to support your health – from nutrition courses and fitness initiatives to military family programs and wellness centers. Discover and explore different tools that can help make healthy living easier for you and your family. While Military OneSource does not provide direct health care services, it does offer non-medical counseling and information about health care services and resources.
Healthy Base Initiative
Since 2013, the Healthy Base Initiative — part of the overarching Operation Live Well program — has brought healthy living initiatives to service members and their families at 14 pilot installations. As a result, the initiative has several helpful tools and resources to help you live a healthy life, including:
- Human Performance Resource Center: The center's human performance optimization website is for U.S. warfighters, their families and those who support them. The goal is total force fitness: warfighters optimized to carry out their mission as safely and effectively as possible.
- The President's Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition: The president's council engages, educates, and empowers all Americans to adopt healthy lifestyles, including regular physical activity and good nutrition.
Good health begins with proper nutrition. The following tools and programs can help you eat right, whether you are at home or at a dining facility.
- Better-for-You: This initiative provides a quick look at the calories of menu items for customers in a for-profit food environment.
- Farmer’s Market: Markets give service and family members the much healthier option of acquiring locally grown produce.
- Go for Green®: Service members have quick access to the nutritional value of menu offerings and food products in the installation dining facility.
- Menu Renovation: This program enhances the nutritional profile of food offerings at military dining facilities and snack bar outlets.
- Commissary Initiative: The initiative promotes the purchase and intake of fruits and vegetables by service and family members.
- Mission Nutrition: This standardized, science-based, two-day, 16-hour course focuses on improving nutritional knowledge and awareness.
Among the fitness resources available to service members and their families are these:
- 24-Hour Fitness: This program offers an opportunity to work out for people who are unable to use standard facilities. Satellite fitness centers are located on installation with limited equipment and are open 24/7 with common access card accessibility.
- Fitness On Request: This initiative offers a wide array of fitness class options and the ability to exercise in a group setting at any time.
- Bike Share: This program provides specially-marked bicycles in convenient locations around the installation for service members and personnel to use for transportation or recreation.
- StairWELL to Health: This program offers information and opportunities for incorporating physical activity into daily routines.
- High-Intensity Tactical Training and Aquatic Maximum Power Intensive Training: Such training improves combat readiness while reducing the likelihood of injury through physical fitness training and nutritional guidelines.
- Adult Sports Program: This intramural sports program provides fun, team-oriented recreational fitness opportunities to keep service members in shape.
Family health resources
Service members can take advantage of a variety of resources that support a healthy family life, tools that help teach youth good nutrition and the importance of exercise. Some of them include:
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation: This program empowers kids to develop lifelong, healthy habits.
- Share our Strength: This initiative offers instruction that encourages families to purchase and prepare healthier food on a budget through cooking classes and grocery store tours.
- Operation Kid Fit: This initiative is a military-adapted, evidence-based child obesity program.
- 5210 Healthy Military Children campaign: This campaign encourages kids to eat more fruits and vegetables and reduce sugary beverages while getting more physical activity and reducing screen time.
- Baby Hot Wheels: This free circuit-training program provides an opportunity for new parents who can get in shape while meeting others.
- Community Resource Guide: This initiative links the social services and health and wellness services available both on the installation and within the community in a web-based format.
- Army Wellness Centers: These centers provide prevention programs and services that promote healthy lifestyles for the well-being of service and family members.
- Evaluating the Impact of a Dietitian: Registered dietitians stationed on the installation provide a range of services to support the nutrition and overall health of service members and their families.
- 5210 Healthy Military Children Campaign: This campaign encourages kids to eat more fruits and vegetables and reduce sugary beverages while getting more physical activity and reducing screen time.
Online health and wellness initiatives
Health services are available to military members in a variety of forms. Get motivated by connecting with other people who have similar goals and seek out new methods for helping yourself stay on the path toward a healthy lifestyle with these online initiatives.
- The Human Performance Resource Center is a Department of Defense initiative that helps members of the military, their families and caretakers to maintain a fit and healthy lifestyle. The online center offers advice on nutrition, dietary supplements, physical conditioning and mental fitness.
- TRICARE provides resources to help you pursue a healthy lifestyle, such as Making Healthy Changes for Life.
- Operation Live Well is a Department of Defense initiative to improve the health and wellness of the entire defense community. It provides service members with a set of resources that they can use to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture offers the Start Simple with MyPlate app, a simple and easy-to-use mobile app that allows you to set daily food goals, track your progress in real time, earn badges and celebrate your success as you learn to develop healthy eating habits.