Maj. Gen. Dawne L. Deskins is the Director, Manpower and Personnel for the National Guard Bureau Joint Staff. As the Director, J1, she is responsible for providing overall human resource strategic planning, integration, analysis, manpower and personnel policy, and oversight for the Chief, National Guard Bureau in order to enhance National Guard Bureau and Joint Force Headquarters initiatives, personnel readiness, operational capabilities and sustainment of the National Guard community. This includes advocating for National Guard service members, families and veterans.
General Deskins was commissioned through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program at Cornell University. A Senior Air Battle Manager, she has served as both an Instructor and Evaluator in four different command and control systems. General Deskins has extensive operational and command experience at multiple levels. She has held qualifications as a Senior Director, Mission Crew Commander, North American Aerospace Defense Command, Director of Operations and NORAD Battle Commander. She supported Operations DENY FLIGHT and NOBLE EAGLE and served as a Joint Air Component Coordination Element Director during several domestic disaster responses.
Prior to her current position, she was the Deputy Director of Partnering and Missile Defense, United States European Command.
1984 Bachelor of Science in Communication, Ithaca College, Ithaca, N.Y.
1990 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1992 Master of Science in Management, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Fla.
1998 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2003 Air War College, by correspondence
2011 National Security Management Course, Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Syracuse University, N.Y.
2014 General and Flag Officer Homeland Security Executive Seminar, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
2014 Senior Leader Orientation Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2015 Capstone General and Flag Officer Course, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2016 Generals, Flag Officers and Ambassadors’ Course, NATO Defense Collage, Rome, Italy
2017 Senior Executives in National and International Security, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
- October 1984 - January 1985, Student, Air Weapons Controller Fundamentals, 325th Tactical Training Wing, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
- January 1985 - April 1985, Student, Undergraduate and Automated Systems Qualification Training Basic Course, 325th Tactical Training Wing, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
- April 1985 - May 1986, Weapons Director, 25th Air Defense Squadron, McChord Air Force Base, Wash.
- May 1986 - May 1987, Weapons Assignment Officer, Northwest Air Defense Sector, 25th Air Defense Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
- May 1987 - April 1988, Sector Operations Control Center Executive Officer, Northwest Air Defense Sector, McChord AFB, Wash.
- April 1988 - April 1991, Instructor, Air Weapons Controller, 3625th Technical Training Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
- April 1991 - January 1993, Chief, Training Consolidation, 331st Technical Training Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
- January 1993 - January 1995, Test Director, 21st Test and Evaluation Squadron OL-B, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
- January 1995 - January 1996, Senior Director, Northeast Air Defense Sector, Rome, N.Y.
- February 1996 - September 1996, Mission Crew Commander, Northeast Air Defense Sector, Rome, N.Y.
- September 1996 - April 1998, Deputy Director, Exercise and Analysis, Northeast Air Defense Sector, New York Air National Guard, Rome, N.Y.
- April 1998 - April 2000, Flight Commander, Northeast Air Defense Sector, New York Air National Guard, Rome, N.Y.
- April 2000 - April 2002, Assistant Chief, Operations Control, Northeast Air Defense Sector, New York Air National Guard, Rome, N.Y.
- April 2002 - April 2008, Deputy Commander Support, Northeast Air Defense Sector, Rome, N.Y.
- April 2008 - April 2009, Vice Commander, Northeast Air Defense Sector, Rome, N.Y.
- April 2009 - February 2012, Vice Commander and Title 32 Commander, Eastern Air Defense Sector, New York Air National Guard, Rome, N.Y.
- February 2012 - March 2014, Commander, Eastern Air Defense Sector, New York Air National Guard, Rome, N.Y.
- March 2014 - December 2014, Special Assistant, Sexual Assault and Prevention, to the Director, Air National Guard, National Guard Bureau, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
- December 2014 - April 2016, Director, Air, Space and Cyber Operations, Air National Guard Readiness Center, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
- April 2016 – December 2018, Deputy Director, Plans and Policy, Headquarters U.S. European Command, Stuttgart, Germany
- December 2018 – Present, Director, Manpower and Personnel, National Guard Bureau, Arlington, Va.
Summary of Joint Assignments
- April 2016 – December 2018, Deputy Director, Plans and Policy, Headquarters U.S. European Command, Stuttgart, Germany, as a brigadier general
Major Awards and Decorations
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1984
First Lieutenant July 27, 1986
Captain July 23, 1988
Major July 31, 1996
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2001
Colonel March 17, 2005
Brigadier General March 8, 2014
Major General Dec. 14, 2018