My Military
OneSource App

Authorized Housing Flexibility Options for Service Members and Families During PCS Moves

Family having breakfast in new home

Eligible service members and their families have housing flexibility options when they receive PCS orders within the United States, including Alaska and Hawaii.

Permanent Change of Station Resources

The military offers many resources for service members moving for PCS orders. Learn more about available information, services and support.

Eligibility for authorized housing flexibility options

Service members who meet requirements are eligible for authorized housing flexibility options before and during a PCS move.

Service members who qualify include those with:

  • One or more dependents enrolled in the Exceptional Family Member Program, or EFMP
  • A spouse who is currently employed or enrolled in a degree, certificate or license-granting program
  • An immediate family member with a chronic or long-term illness who they are caring for
  • One or more children attending an elementary or secondary school

Authorized housing flexibility options

Eligible service members may request flexible housing arrangements for their family starting 180 days before their PCS date, with the options ending 180 days after the PCS date:

  • Continuation of stay in government-owned or -leased family housing if they are living in such housing at the start of the covered PCS period. Approval of this request requires that remaining there would not impact the housing arrangements of other service members assigned to that duty station. Note that this option does not cover Public Private Venture housing, or PPV, otherwise known as privatized military housing.
  • Early housing options at a new duty station within the flexible housing period if housing is available, even if their service member has not yet arrived.
  • Occupancy of government-owned or -leased unaccompanied housing if a spouse or dependents relocate at a time that differs from the service member’s arrival to an assigned station. This housing flexibility will be offered on a “space-available” basis that does not displace unaccompanied service members with no dependents.
  • Equitable basic allowance for housing, or BAH, based on prescribed criteria. The service member may request BAH at the old or new permanent duty station or at the dependent’s location before the covered relocation period began.

The military service branch reserves the right to adjust the timing and general availability of these flexible moving options depending on mission needs.

Requesting authorized housing flexibility options

For additional information regarding housing flexibility options, contact your installation personnel support office.

For comprehensive moving support and resources, visit PCS and Military Moves. You can also contact your installation Military and Family Support Center for an array of relocation assistance services. EFMP Family Support providers can help you navigate the housing process by connecting you to the installation housing office and the medical treatment facility to address your housing needs.

Learn about military bases worldwide. Get installation overviews, check-in procedures, housing, neighborhood information, contacts for programs and services, photos and more.

Find an Installation