Caregiver Support Resources for You and Your Loved One
When you are the caregiver of a loved one with special needs or a life-changing illness or injury, each day can bring new questions and new situations. So, it’s important that you have access to the resources and support you need -- not only for your loved one, but also for you.
Your first stop in seeking assistance is your installation EFMP Family Support providers. These providers can point you in the right direction of local services you may require as well as walk you through the resources available to you at your installation.
Military OneSource also offers many caregiver support resources tailored to your specific needs. You can find support services, consultations, confidential non-medical counseling and access to a variety of helpful products:
- Specialty consultations – Military OneSource gives you 24/7 access to trained, master’s-level consultants who can assess your family's concerns and answer your questions about special needs, elder care, adults with special needs care, wounded warrior and more. Call 800-342-9647 to connect with a Military OneSource consultant.
- Exceptional Family Member Program Resources, Options and Consultations, or EFMP ROC, special needs consultants are available by phone or video to help you navigate the medical and educational needs of your family or loved one, and connect you with military and community-based support. You can schedule appointments 24/7 by live chat or calling 800-342-9647. Consultations are available via phone or video session. Or, visit your installations EFMP Family Support office for localized support and resources.
- Non-medical counseling – Being a caregiver is hard work. If you are feeling stressed, you can talk with someone who can help you navigate the difficulties of caregiving without neglecting your own needs.
- Get counseling services face-to-face, by telephone, video or online, using real-time chat. Call 800-342-9647 or click Non-medical Counseling to find out more.
- See these tips on how to take care of yourself when you are a caregiver.
- Sample webinars from the Military Families Learning Network to learn more about being a caregiver.
- Peer support – The person who best understands a caregiver has been one. Get and stay connected with other caregivers like you.
- Financial counseling – Caring for a loved one may deliver unexpected costs. Save yourself time, energy and worry by having a spending plan that leaves room for the unexpected. Military OneSource offers financial counseling in person, by phone or via video chat. Call 800-342-9647 or click financial counseling.
- Health and wellness – It can be easy to forget about your own needs when caring for a loved one, but it’s important to take care of your own health. Free, confidential health and wellness coaching is available via phone, online chat or video session. Call 800-342-9647 or click health to find out more.
- Products and downloads – On Military OneSource, you’ll find many helpful booklets, CDs, DVDs and articles that you can have shipped to your door for free. You’ll also find useful downloads including:
Being a caregiver is one of the most important roles you can take on, but you don't have to do it alone. Use caregiver support from Military OneSource to help lighten your load and take better care of yourself.