There are several military benefits that can help you seize the adventure of an overseas move. Military OneSource can help you identify which benefits you are eligible for and explore resources that will help you master your move.
- Command sponsorship is the permission needed for your family to accompany you overseas.
- Apply for sponsorship as soon as you’re given orders to move.
- If approved, you’ll receive an additional allowance, reimbursement for moving expenses, and more weight in your moving shipment.
- Follow all instructions carefully when applying and keep strict records of your expenses once approved.
- You may stay on the installation or in government housing.
- Depending on your rank, location and presence of family, you may also quality for an overseas housing allowance to live outside the installation.
- Your transportation office will help set up the logistics of your move.
- Financial assistance will be provided to cover certain moving expenses.
Managing your finances
- The military will reimburse you for travel and household goods.
- Keep detailed track of your expenses to make reimbursement faster and easier.
- For emergency financial assistance, including unforeseen moving expenses, you can speak to a financial counselor for help at any time.
Packing for overseas
- Your weight limit ranges from 350 to 18,000 pounds depending on your rank and family status.
- You may set aside a portion of this weight allotment for your vehicle, if permitted to take it with you overseas.
- Carry important personal documents on your person, rather than packing them with the rest of your belongings. You may need them sooner than when the rest of your items arrive.
- Translation services are available should you or your new partner need assistance with any legal documents pertaining to your marriage.
- Your spouse may be eligible for an expedited or overseas naturalization if he or she able to speak basic English.
- Your installation may provide job opportunities for your spouse while overseas.
- In certain countries, the Status of Forces Agreement allows military spouses to work in the local economy.
- Your legal assistance office can provide information on how to start a business from home.
One of the benefits of military life is the unique opportunity to experience life in different parts of the world – the chance to live in diverse cultures and environments. Let Military OneSource connect you with the benefits that can help you master your move and focus on your new and exciting chapter in your life.