My Military
OneSource App


One of the great benefits of moving with the military is that you and your family will likely have a number of housing options at your new location. You will also receive a housing allowance and moving benefits to help ease the transition. Make the most of your housing benefits with help from Military OneSource.

BAH Increases for 2021

The DOD has authorized a temporary increase to 2021 Basic Allowance for Housing rates for certain locations across the U.S.

Basic allowance for housing, or BAH

  • BAH is intended to cover the cost of housing and is available to service members stationed in the U.S. who don’t live in government-owned housing.
  • This allowance is based on average housing costs, your rank and whether or not you have dependents.
  • For information about the temporary increase in 2021 BAH rates, view these FAQs. Information about service-specific procedures to apply for the increase in BAH rates can be found in the links below. For the Army, see the supporting S1/personnel office for further guidance and application procedures.

Overseas housing allowance, or OHA

  • OHA offsets the cost of off-base housing outside the continental U.S.
  • It is based on rank and dependents and is available to unaccompanied service members only if government housing is unavailable.
  • Covers move-in costs, utilities and maintenance.

Connect with your overseas duty station for the housing details in your new area and to get help applying for OHA.

Family separation allowance, or FSA

  • FSA is paid when your family members can’t live with you at your permanent duty station – most commonly when transportation isn’t authorized, housing is unavailable, you’re aboard a ship, or your family can’t move because of a medical condition.
  • This allowance is paid as a flat, monthly rate.

Check with your installation housing office or the Defense Finance and Accounting Service for more FSA details.

Dislocation allowance or DLA

  • DLA helps with miscellaneous moving costs.
  • It’s paid generally once per permanent change of station, or PCS move.
  • This allowance isn’t paid if you’re reassigned to government quarters or are unaccompanied and doesn’t usually pay for local moves.

Move-in housing allowance or MIHA

  • MIHA is available only outside the continental United States.
  • It helps cover the cost of miscellaneous expenses, like appliances, lease taxes, one-time rent-related expenses or security expenses.
  • Varies by currency rate and location.


If you need additional assistance to cover the cost of moving, you can apply for an advance of basic pay. This advance can be used to cover:

  • Basic allowance for housing
  • Overseas housing allowance
  • Moving-related expenses
  • Travel allowances (varies by service branch)

Before taking an advance, be sure to do some research and contact the experts at your Personal Financial Management Program office to help with budget planning.

Housing options

As a service member, you have a variety of housing options. Consult your installation housing office/privatized housing or the Military and Family Support Center relocation assistance staff for information regarding available housing options.

  • Government-owned military installation housing is owned and maintained by the Department of Defense and saves you from paying rent and most utilities.
  • Privatized military installation housing is owned by a private-sector company. Your basic allowance for housing can be used to pay rental costs and a portion or all of your utility bill, depending on usage.
  • Single or unaccompanied military installation housing? “the barracks,” or “bachelor quarters,” are rent-free, but you may share a room or bathroom.
  • Renting a home off the installation gives you more choices, but make sure your lease allows you to get out early if you are reassigned or deployed.
  • Buying a house lets you select the size, location and amenities you want. However, you need to be prepared to sell or rent it quickly when your next PCS comes.

Confidential, Non-medical Counseling

  • Military OneSource offers free, confidential non-medical counseling to discuss adjustment difficulties or ways to manage relocation stress.
  • You can connect with a counselor to schedule an appointment 24/7 over the phone, in person, via secure online live chat or via secure video sessions.
  • You are eligible for up to 12 sessions.

Military OneSource professionals can help you with every aspect of your move so you can seize your adventure.

Installation Program Directory

Find programs and services at your local installation.