If you have your orders, you also have access to many resources to help you plan your move. From planning travel expenses to learning about your new community, Military OneSource provides tools and services for a successful move.
Plan My Move
Plan My Move is a Department of Defense relocation tool that helps you organize your move and keep it on track. Use Plan My Move to:
- Create checklists covering different parts of your move, including family, household goods, paperwork and housing.
- Print out your checklists or save them and access them whenever you want.
- Track your progress online as you complete tasks.
- MilitaryINSTALLATIONS provides contact information for programs and services, critical information about installations, check-in procedures, local resources information , links to comprehensive location overviews and community points of interest for military installations worldwide.
Your installation’s transportation office can help you explore your different moving options and coordinate household goods. The office that handles your relocation varies by service branch:
- The Department of Defense: Joint Personal Property Shipping Office
- Air Force: Traffic Management Office
- Army: Installation Transportation Office
- Navy and Marine Corps: Personal Property Shipping Office
If you’re moving overseas, visit Military OneSource OCONUS Moves.
Move.mil is the Department of Defense’s global website for managing your move. Log on to learn about your moving allowances, schedule your household goods shipment and unaccompanied baggage, track your shipment, and file claims, if necessary.
- The Weight Allowance Table details weight allowances by grade and dependent status.
- The Weight Estimator assists in estimating the total weight of your shipments so that you are not stuck with a penalty fee if you go over the limit.
- Contact the housing office on your installation to begin the process of finding a place to live in your new location, learning about housing-related allowances and exploring your housing options.
- If you’re living in government quarters now, notify the housing office of your projected move date.
Relocation assistance program
- Relocation assistance service providers offer support to service members and their families, including planning assistance, counseling, referrals and education.
- These professionals can also help answer questions and connects with other resources such as housing, transportation, household goods, education, employment and youth sponsorship for children.
- HOMES.mil is a service designed to connect service members and their families with community housing rental listings located near U.S. military bases.
- It provides contact information with your current or prospective housing office.
- You can also list your own rental properties.
It’s Your Move guide
- It’s Your Move guide helps you understand your allowances and responsibilities involving the shipment and or storage of your household goods and unaccompanied baggage.
- Your installation’s finance office can help you plan for these expenses and determine what relocation benefits you are eligible for.
Military and Family Support Center
- Contact the Military and Family Support Center on your military installation to learn about relocation assistance services – including individual move planning, workshops and briefings – as well as other family support programs.
- Militarychildcare.com helps you explore different childcare options and locate DoD-approved providers around the world.
Family members with special needs
- If you have a family member with special needs, consultants with the Exceptional Family Member Program can help you make sure their needs are met during your move, especially if they will transfer to a new school.
- Contact TRICARE to notify them of your move and discuss your options for care at your new location.
Many installations have a school liaison to serve as a bridge and facilitator between schools and military families.
- Your installation’s school liaison can work with your child’s school to minimize the negative consequences of transitions and inform the school about issues related to the education of military youth.
- Find your installation’s school liaison contact information on MilitaryINSTALLATIONS by searching for “School Liaison Office/Community Schools” under Programs or Services.
Defense Travel Management Office
Military OneSource Spouse Relocation and Transition Specialty Consultation
- Military OneSource offers relocation and transition specialty consultations to help spouses during military moves.
- A consultant can give spouses guidance on creating an individualized action plan, identify resources, and share information on housing, child care, education, employment and more.
Military Kids Connect
- Military Kids Connect is an online community specifically designed for military children ages 6-17 years old.
- It provides access to age-appropriate resources to support children dealing with the unique psychological challenges of military life, including frequent moves.
Language interpretation services
Spouse Education and Career Opportunities
Visit Military OneSource or call 800-342-9647 for answers to your questions and to find relocation resources. OCONUS/International? Click here for calling options. We’re here 24/7 to help you master your next move.