My Military
OneSource App

Moving & PCS – Resources

The Defense Department is committed to helping service members, their families and anyone moving with the military connect to the information, resources and tools they need to get organized and master their move.

Moving tools

Use these online planning tools and websites to help you manage a move and learn about your new duty station.

Plan My Move is a Department of Defense relocation tool that helps you organize your move and keep it on track. Use Plan My Move to:

  • Create checklists for different parts of your move, including family, household goods, paperwork and housing
  • Print your moving checklists or save them online and access them whenever you want
  • Track your progress online as you complete tasks

MilitaryINSTALLATIONS provides comprehensive information for installations around the world. Find contacts for key programs and services, check-in procedures, local resources, maps, community information and more. Learn more about how to use MilitaryINSTALLATIONS and its available features.

Whether you’re looking for tips and guides or links to online tools, the Personal Property Resources page offers comprehensive information about moving your household goods and personal property.

PCSmyPOV is an online resource for service members moving or storing their privately owned vehicles during a permanent change of station. Learn more about shipping a car overseas.

Relocation assistance

Experts are available, both online and in-person, to support you through all phases of the moving process.

Your installation Relocation Assistance Program can help you learn about your new installation, offer assistance with spouse employment options, housing, schools, financial readiness and more. Find out how to put the military’s relocation program to work for you.

If you’re moving overseas, visit Military OneSource OCONUS/Overseas Moves for more information and resources.

Contact your installation Military and Family Support Center to learn about relocation assistance services — including individual move planning, workshops and briefings — as well as other programs and services to help you balance the demands of military life.

The housing offices at your new installation can help you explore the options in your new location and understand your housing-related allowances. Contact your installation housing office/government housing for information about living on base. Contact the housing referral office/housing privatization for information about off-installation options.

If you’re living in government quarters now, notify your installation housing office/government housing of your projected move-out date. is a service designed to connect service members and their families with community housing rental listings located near U.S. military bases. It provides contact information for your current or prospective housing office. You can also list your own rental properties.

Learn more about PCS passenger and pet travel options for you and your family to or from an overseas, or OCONUS, location.

Personal Property Customer Service Contacts provides links for local moving assistance offices, technical help desks, POV shipping and storage, financial assistance, service branch assistance and more.

Military and family support services

Use these links to help you access child care programs, education and well-being resources for children, and support for family members with special needs.

Learn about military child care programs, including:

If you have a family member with special needs, consultants with the EFMP – Exceptional Family Member Program can help you make sure your family member’s needs are met during and after your move, especially if your exceptional family member will transfer to a new school. You can also check out the EFMP&Me online tool for information and support anytime, anywhere.

Many installations have a school liaison to serve as a bridge between schools and military families. Your installation school liaison can work with your child’s school to minimize the negative consequences of transitions and inform the school about issues related to the education of military youth.

Military Kids Connect is an online community specifically designed for military children ages 6-17 years. It provides access to age-appropriate resources to support children dealing with the unique psychological challenges of military life, including frequent moves.

Sesame Street for Military Families offers a variety of videos, worksheets and tips to help young children cope with challenges of military life. Check out their relocation resources.

Financial resources

Questions about moving benefits, entitlements or budgets? We’ve got you covered.

Your installation’s Personal Financial Management Services office can help you plan for moving expenses and determine what relocation benefits you are eligible for.

Visit the Defense Travel Management Office website for current allowance tables, per diem rates and other tools to help you plan your move.

Health care

Contact TRICARE to notify them of your move and discuss your options for care at your new location.

Spouse resources

Need help transferring your professional license or finding a job in your new location? Use these links to help you get settled.

Military OneSource offers relocation and transition specialty consultations to help spouses during military moves. Consultants can help you create an individualized action plan and identify resources. They can also share information on housing, child care, education, employment and more.

Spouse Education and Career Opportunities, or SECO, offers support and resources for military spouses looking for employment or educational options at your new location.

Miscellaneous resources

Stay updated on COVID-19 resources by visiting the Military OneSource COVID-19 information page. Look under Guidance From the Government for a link to weekly updates on installation travel restrictions.

Military OneSource provides 24-hour simultaneous language interpretations by phone in more than 150 languages. Learn how translation and interpretation services can improve PCS moves.

Looking for a place to stay while you’re in transition? Try these options:

Privately-owned truck weight scales locations are available to get required vehicle weight tickets when conducting a full or partial personally procured move, also known as a PPM or “do-it-yourself” move. There are several companies that offer these weight scales and you can search the internet to find a location near you. Check with your local transportation office to get more details on weighing your vehicle. You can use the MilitaryINSTALLATIONS tool to find your local transportation office contact information.

Still have questions? Military OneSource is available 24/7 to help you find the answers and resources you need to master your next move and live your best MilLife. Call 800-342-9647, use OCONUS calling options, or schedule a live chat.

Installation Program Directory

Find programs and services at your local installation.