- Military Life Cycle
- Family & Relationships
- Moving & Housing
- Financial & Legal
- Education & Employment
- Health & Wellness
- Recreation, Travel & Shopping
- Service Providers & Leaders
- Benefits & Resources
- I am a…
- Confidential Help
24/7/365 Access to Support
No matter where you serve or live, free and confidential help is available.
Call the Military Crisis Line at 800-273-8255 and press 1, or text 838255.
Contact Military OneSource
Information and support for service members and their families. About the Call Center.
Preparing for Deployment – The Essentials
Life in the military is about being ready for deployment. You may be duty-ready, but don’t overlook preparations on the homefront. Make sure to:
- Update or create essential legal documents
- Organize your finances
- Prepare your family and children
- Create a family care plan
- Consider a contingency plan in case things change
The following steps can help you and your family get organized.
Get your paperwork in order
Getting your legal affairs in order before you deploy can reduce some of your worry and give you more control when you are away. Be sure to review and update beneficiary designations and other important information.
- Securing the Homefront: Deployment Legal Paperwork Prep
- Life Happens: Legal Assistance and Paperwork for Service Members and Families
- Plan My Deployment website with comprehensive resources for all phases of the deployment cycle, including printable checklists and important documents and forms.
- Legal – Resources – information page
Organize your finances
During your deployment, you may be eligible for military pay entitlements such as a family separation allowance or combat pay. This is an ideal time to save money, pay off debt or just tidy up your finances. Meeting with a personal finance specialist can be a great way to make sure you understand your entitlements and benefits and get the most out of your money so you can meet your financial goals.
- Four Steps to Put Your Financial House in Order
- Preparing for Deployment by Setting Savings Goals
- Military Pay 101 – Basic Pay, Allowances and S&I Pay
- Deployment – Benefits information page
- Defense Finance and Accounting Service – Special and Incentive Pays
- IRS Combat Zones Approved for Tax Benefits
Prepare your family
The Military Family and Readiness System provides a wide variety of deployment support for service members and families, from predeployment briefings to family readiness group meetings and more. Contact your installation Military and Family Support Center for information on deployment support programs and services.
An important part of preparing your family for deployment is to create a family care plan. Family care plans are designed to provide caregivers with all the right information to keep the household running smoothly while you’re gone. Plans usually include details about child care, school, medical care and family activities, as well as all necessary contacts. Learn more about preparing your family care plan.
- Deployment Resources for Families
- Supporting Your Military Children Through the Deployment Cycle
- How to Support Your Service Member Before Deployment
- Military Deployment Support information page
- Military Youth Coping With Separation: When Family Members Deploy video
- I’m Here For You Now customizable book
- Over There (Daddy version), Over There (Mommy version) customizable books
- Sesame Street for Military Families: Deployment PDFs, videos and helpful information
Have a backup plan
The military is full of changes. You can be gearing up for a deployment and then get orders that your mission is canceled or postponed. That’s why contingency planning is part of deployment planning. Learn more about cancelled or postponed deployment: the importance of contingency planning.
Reach out for support
If you have questions or need help finding information, Military OneSource consultants are available 24/7/365 to connect you with the answers and resources you need. Call 800-342-647, use OCONUS calling options or schedule a live chat.Tags: deployment