- Military Basics
- Transitioning & Retiring
- Casualty Assistance
- Moving & PCS
- Housing & Living
- Recreation, Travel & Shopping
- Special Needs
- Health & Wellness
- Safety From Violence & Abuse
- Financial & Legal
- Education & Employment
- National Guard
- Benefits & Resources
- I am a…
- Confidential Help
24/7/365 Access to Support
No matter where you serve or live, free and confidential help is available.
- In Crisis?
In the United States, call 911 if you are in an emergency.
For those outside the United States, call your local emergency number.
Contact Military OneSource
Information and support for service members and their families. About the Call Center.
Military parents have busy lives as they juggle careers, children, house demands, meal planning and carpools, along with the added challenges of PCS and deployment. Military OneSource understands your life is complicated and is here to help. We do the homework to consolidate the best and latest parenting resources, information and advice so you can find solutions to your needs more easily. Spend your downtime with your family, not searching for support.
New baby? Child with special needs? Bored teenager? There are resources for these situations and many others. Review Military OneSource essential parenting resources, and check out the following top picks for busy parents.
Resources for everyday parenting:
- New Parent Support Program — New and expecting parents can build a network of support with the New Parent Support Program. Manage those first few years with access to trained staff who can answer parenting questions, provide home visits or even set you up with supervised playgroups and parenting classes.
- MilParent Power — MilParent Power connects military families, community leaders and service members to a wide range of Defense Department programs and resources designed to support healthy parenting. Connect to age-appropriate parenting tips, webinars and podcasts. Find free and low-cost parenting programs and support for military families.
- Safe sleep environments for your infant — Learn how to teach your child good sleeping habits by setting a bedtime routine and making your infant’s sleeping environment safe.
- Military child care programs — Searching for high quality, affordable and licensed child care? This article explains how to locate quality, affordable child care in your community, both on and off the installation.
- Military OneSource expanded hourly child care options — Service members and families now have free access to a national database of more than a million caregivers. Find hourly, flexible and on-demand child care that’s right for your needs.
- Exceptional Family Member Program — Don’t go it alone. If you have a child with special needs, check out the EFMP – Exceptional Family Member Program page on Military OneSource. Read a collection of articles with specific assistance and resources for military family members with special needs.
- School Liaison Program — Your local school liaison is your main contact for school-related matters pre-K through 12. School liaisons can help your child get settled into a new school and locate after-school activities and extracurricular programs. They can also connect you to the Exceptional Family Member Program and your school’s special education department.
- Defense Department child and youth programs — Explore a wide range of DOD child and youth programs which can help your child make friends, stay active and develop new skills. Options include sports and fitness, open recreation time, instructional classes from cooking to STEM and the arts, youth sponsorship and more.
- Military OneSource Parenting page — Visit this page to find great information on adoption, parenting skills and child development stages. You can also find tips for dealing with grief and loss, divorce, bullies, routines and discipline.
- Thrive online parenting-education program — Questions about parenting? We all have them. That’s why the DOD partnered with the Clearinghouse for Military Family Readiness at Penn State to develop a free online parenting-education program. Find out how Thrive can help you raise healthy, resilient children from birth to 18.
- Morale, Welfare and Recreation — Need some fresh and fun ideas for family activities or your next family trip? Connect with your MWR program. From fitness and sports to tickets and travel, MWR has something for everyone. Visit MilitaryINSTALLATIONS to locate your local MWR and get active and have fun with your family.
- Best Kept Secrets: Joint Services Campgrounds and Facilities — Looking to get away? MWR joint services campgrounds and facilities across the United States offer service members and their families a variety of accommodations and amenities at great rates without sacrificing luxury or location. Don’t delay — start planning your next family adventure now.
Resources for challenging times:
- Military OneSource Plan My Deployment tool — Find the information, resources and support you and your family need before, during and after deployment. Military OneSource is there to help you prepare your children for deployment as well as provide support for your children during deployment.
- Military OneSource Plan My Move tool — Prepare your family for the next move with the Plan My Move tool. Create customized checklists and access important point of contacts and moving information to help you stay organized and on top of important to-dos as you go through the moving process.
- Child and Youth Behavioral Military Family Life Counselors — Child and youth behavioral military and family life counselors provide support to military children for a variety of issues, including low self-esteem, behavioral problems and changes at home. These counselors understand the issues military children face and can be especially helpful during challenging periods, including deployments and PCS moves.
- The Military OneSource Moving Your Personal Property page provides comprehensive information and resources for moving your household goods including information from the retired Move.mil website. Find moving guides and FAQs, a weight estimator tool, customer service contact links, log in for the Defense Personal Property System, or DPS, and much more.
- Military OneSource PCS and Military Moves page offers an array of relocation assistance information and resources to help you master your move, including links for powerful planning tools, housing, schools, child care, health care and more.
- Military and Family Support Centers — Your installation Military and Family Support Center is a one-stop shop for family readiness information and services. Centers provide support for deployment, relocation and financial assistance as well as installation-specific resources such as employment, community resources and more. Utilize these resources to help you and your family balance demands of military life. Find your installation’s Military and Family Support Center by visiting MilitaryINSTALLATIONS.
- Military Crisis Line — If you or someone you know is in crisis, contact the Military Crisis Line at 988, then press 1, or access online chat by texting 838255. Put your military community’s resources to work for you and your family. You aren’t in this alone.
Whatever your situation or parenting stage you’re facing, let Military OneSource help you connect to the parenting support you need. Call 800-342-9647, view OCONUS calling options or set up a live chat today.