My Military
OneSource App

Benefit overview

As a service member or eligible family member, you have access to certain free legal benefits. Through your legal assistance office, you can receive free services such as a lease agreement review, estate planning or advice if you get sued.

Disclaimer: The information contained on this website is designed to educate and inform service members and their families on their personal legal affairs. Nothing contained in the website is a substitute for the competent legal advice of a licensed attorney. Service members and their families seeking legal advice should consult the staff of the nearest installation Legal Assistance Office.

How this benefit helps

Specific legal services may vary by installation, but your legal assistance office can generally help with the following:

A power of attorney allows one person to legally act on your behalf on legal or money matters. For example, a power of attorney document can appoint someone to release your household goods shipment if you’re leaving before your furniture will ship or bank on your behalf while you are deployed.

A lawyer can review your lease or rental contract before you sign it to be sure the terms are acceptable and that the agreement includes any military rental protection clauses for your state.

With a living will, you can declare what medical treatment or life-sustaining measures you want or don’t want if you become seriously ill or injured.

This is an important part of retirement planning and can include:

  • Drafting of a will, a legally binding document describing how you want your property and belongings distributed after your death
  • Designating your beneficiaries
  • Planning ahead should you become mentally or physically disabled

This serves as a blueprint, for military purposes, for how you want your family cared for while you’re deployed. A plan is required for single parents, dual-military couples with children or if you care for a disabled or elderly family member. Legal assistance offices can review and advise on this matter.

Notaries can administer oaths, witness signatures, take acknowledgments, sworn statements and affidavits, and more.

If you’re having credit problems, believe you’re the victim of a scam or have a dispute over a consumer issue, legal assistance attorneys may help you communicate and negotiate with collection agencies, lawyers or other parties.

Many legal assistance offices operate tax centers or provide income tax return preparation to help with filing federal, state or local taxes.

Get legal advice for a range of issues, including adoption, child support, marriage, divorce, separation, child custody, alimony, property division, name changes, paternity or legal benefits under the Uniformed Services Former Spouses’ Protection Act.

Legal assistance offices can help you understand the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, which provides specific protections for service members in a number of areas.

In limited cases, you can get help with the preparation of legal correspondence, documents and pleadings.

You can get support and referrals for immigration, citizenship and naturalization matters, including alien registration, reentry permits, passports, naturalization of a surviving spouse and citizenship of military children born abroad.

How to access this benefit

While Military OneSource does not offer legal assistance, you can call or visit your legal assistance office to find out more about the services offered at your installation.

Image of Legal Affairs Gavel

Legal services may vary by installation.

Learn about military bases worldwide. Get installation overviews, check-in procedures, housing, neighborhood information, contacts for programs and services, photos and more.

Find an Installation