The Overseas Housing Allowance is a cost-reimbursement allowance for service members who lease privately owned housing in overseas locations. OHA includes three separate components: rent, utilities/recurring maintenance and a Move-in Housing Allowance. OHA is paid in U.S. dollars but rent, utilities and move-in payments are typically paid in foreign currency.
- Military Basics
- Transitioning & Retiring
- Casualty Assistance
- Moving & PCS
- Housing & Living
- Recreation, Travel & Shopping
- Special Needs
- Health & Wellness
- Safety From Violence & Abuse
- Financial & Legal
- Education & Employment
- I am a…
- Benefits & Resources
- Confidential Help
24/7/365 Access to Support
No matter where you serve or live, free and confidential help is available.
- In Crisis?
- Veterans/Military Crisis Line
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- DOD Safe Helpline - Sexual Assault Support
- 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline
- Domestic Abuse Victim Advocate Locator - Family Advocacy Program
In the United States, call 911 if you are in an emergency.
For those outside the United States, call your local emergency number.
- Browse By Program/Office
- Casualty & Mortuary Affairs
- Child & Youth Advocacy
- Children, Youth & Family Programs
- Commissary, Military Exchange & Lodging
- Family Advocacy Program
- Military Community Support Programs
- Military & Family Life Counseling
- Military Funeral Honors
- Morale, Welfare & Recreation (MWR)
- Office of Special Needs
- Personnel Accountability & Evacuations Operations
- Spouse Education & Career Opportunities
Contact Military OneSource
Information and support for service members and their families. About the Call Center.
How this benefit helps
OHA helps service members in overseas locations by offsetting housing costs.
OHA can help cover some of the costs of overseas housing
If you need to secure privately owned housing in an overseas location, you may qualify for OHA to help with the costs.
How to access this benefit
You must apply for OHA by completing DD Form 2367, the Individual Overseas Housing Allowance Report, and return the form to the appropriate official with a copy of your lease for approval.
If you qualify for MIHA/Rent, MIHA/Security or MIHA/Infectious Disease you also must complete and submit DD Form 2556, the MIHA Claim Form.
For more information on the OHA survey schedule, OHA Unique Expenses and the responsibilities of the country allowance coordinator, check out the DOD Overseas Station and Housing Allowance Process Guide.