Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance Traumatic Injury Protection, or TSGLI, is an insurance program administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs that provides short-term financial support to help eligible service members recover from a severe injury. Service members covered by SGLI who experienced a traumatic injury while serving in the military can use the VA website to find out how to file a claim for TSGLI or appeal a past decision.
- Military Basics
- Transitioning & Retiring
- Casualty Assistance
- Moving & PCS
- Housing & Living
- Recreation, Travel & Shopping
- Special Needs
- Health & Wellness
- Safety From Violence & Abuse
- Financial & Legal
- Education & Employment
- I am a…
- Benefits & Resources
- Confidential Help
24/7/365 Access to Support
No matter where you serve or live, free and confidential help is available.
- In Crisis?
- Veterans/Military Crisis Line
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- DOD Safe Helpline - Sexual Assault Support
- 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline
- Domestic Abuse Victim Advocate Locator - Family Advocacy Program
In the United States, call 911 if you are in an emergency.
For those outside the United States, call your local emergency number.
- Browse By Program/Office
- Casualty & Mortuary Affairs
- Child & Youth Advocacy
- Children, Youth & Family Programs
- Commissary, Military Exchange & Lodging
- Family Advocacy Program
- Military Community Support Programs
- Military & Family Life Counseling
- Military Funeral Honors
- Morale, Welfare & Recreation (MWR)
- Office of Special Needs
- Personnel Accountability & Evacuations Operations
- Spouse Education & Career Opportunities
Contact Military OneSource
Information and support for service members and their families. About the Call Center.
How this benefit helps
This benefit provides $25,000 to $100,000 in short-term financial support to help in your recovery from a traumatic injury.
TSGLI can provide short-term financial support
Recovering from a traumatic injury can take some time. TSGLI helps cover you financially while you recover.
How to access this benefit
You are automatically covered through TSGLI if you are signed up for full-time SGLI. This insurance covers you even if your injury happened while you were off duty. To receive TSGLI payments—including retroactive TSGLI payments—you will need to apply for them using the Application for TSGLI Benefits (SGLV 8600). One complete, you can fax, email or mail it to the VA.