My Military
OneSource App

How to Transfer Post-9/11 GI Bill Education Benefits

Marine mom holds her daughter

Transfer of military education benefits overview

Beginning in August 2009, a transfer benefit within the Post-9/11 GI Bill allows service members, whether they are officers or enlisted personnel, to transfer their education benefits to spouses or dependents. Requirements include:

  • Active-duty service members and selected reserve must have served for six years and be eligible for and agree to serve four more years from the date of the transfer request.
  • Transfer requests can only be submitted and approved while members are on active duty.
  • Military service members may transfer all or part of their education benefits to a spouse, child, or both, provided they are still serving, but family members must be eligible to receive those benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill.
  • The person receiving the benefits must be enrolled in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System, or DEERS.
  • If a “force-shaping event,” such as involuntary separation, keeps members from fulfilling their service obligation, theymay keep their completed transfer of education benefits.

Benefit transfers must also be approved by a member’s service branch ─ which may have other requirements ─ before a request can be granted.

More information on transferring benefits, and on eligibility ─ including for spouses and children ─ is available through the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Purple Heart recipients who were active duty or in the selected reserve, may:

  • Transfer their education benefits regardless of years of service, but the request must still be made while they are on active duty.
  • Keep a completed transfer of education benefits regardless of whether they fulfill their service obligation.

Being able to transfer your Post-9/11 GI Bill military education benefits provides a financial advantage for you and your family. For more information, including how to request a transfer, call Military OneSource at 800-342-9647 to discuss your benefits with one of our consultants.

Get Help With Transferring Your Education Benefits

Transferring your Post-9/11 GI Bill education benefits to your child is a great start toward paying for their college education, but you may have questions. Military OneSource can connect you to your service branch’s point of contact so you can get the answers you need.

Overseas? See OCONUS calling options. Prefer to live chat? Start now.

Learn about military bases worldwide. Get installation overviews, check-in procedures, housing, neighborhood information, contacts for programs and services, photos and more.

Find an Installation