- Military Basics
- Transitioning & Retiring
- Casualty Assistance
- Moving & PCS
- Housing & Living
- Recreation, Travel & Shopping
- Special Needs
- Health & Wellness
- Safety From Violence & Abuse
- Financial & Legal
- Education & Employment
- I am a…
- Benefits & Resources
- Confidential Help
24/7/365 Access to Support
No matter where you serve or live, free and confidential help is available.
- In Crisis?
- Veterans/Military Crisis Line
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- DOD Safe Helpline - Sexual Assault Support
- 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline
- Domestic Abuse Victim Advocate Locator - Family Advocacy Program
In the United States, call 911 if you are in an emergency.
For those outside the United States, call your local emergency number.
- Browse By Program/Office
- Casualty & Mortuary Affairs
- Child & Youth Advocacy
- Children, Youth & Family Programs
- Commissary, Military Exchange & Lodging
- Family Advocacy Program
- Military Community Support Programs
- Military & Family Life Counseling
- Military Funeral Honors
- Morale, Welfare & Recreation (MWR)
- Office of Special Needs
- Personnel Accountability & Evacuations Operations
- Spouse Education & Career Opportunities
Contact Military OneSource
Information and support for service members and their families. About the Call Center.
Caring for a Parent: Elder Care Consultations and Benefits3 minute read • April 5, 2022
Sometimes being the guardian of your family means caring for an aging parent or loved one. To find level ground in this new role, connect with a Military OneSource elder care consultant.
An elder care consultant can help you connect with the services and support you need to take care of the older adult in your military family — whether that person lives with you or across the world. An elder care consultation is:
- Conducted by phone
Caring for an aging loved one is much easier with the right support. A Military OneSource elder care consultant can help your family get on solid ground.
What should I expect from an elder care consultation?
Elder care services consultations include a one-on-one session with a master’s-level trained professional. They can provide valuable information on resources and services such as:
- Recommendations for in-home care, transportation and insurance.
- Help finding assisted living facilities, skilled nursing facilities or continuing care retirement communities.
- Research and referrals for senior citizen programs and services such as:
- The Department of Veterans Affairs Aid and Attendance benefit
- Social Security retirement benefits and assisting your family member through the sign-up process
- Medicaid waiver programs
Contact Military OneSource 24/7.
You can get personalized help 365 days a year by telephone and online.
Overseas? See OCONUS calling options.
Prefer to live chat? Start now.
Tips for long-distance caregiving
Caring for an older loved one from afar? Elder care consultants can help you:
- Learn about community resources: There are excellent services in most communities including visiting nurses, home-delivered meals, senior centers and specialized transportation.
- Explore your elder’s support network: Neighbors, doctors, relatives and clergy in your loved one’s location can be extremely helpful as emergency contacts and to keep you posted about any changes in health or behavior.
- Seek personal support: Joining a local caregivers support group or networking informally with others who also live at a distance from their relatives will give you more peace about not being available to offer routine support or be there in an emergency.
- Visit your loved one: Phones and computers can help minimize the gap between you and your elder. However, consider making a personal visit. That provides an opportunity to assess if any changes are taking place in the elder’s ability to live independently or in their well-being under the care of others.
Resources are available to help you succeed in this role as a caretaker. Start with Military OneSource to help you determine the best plan and benefits for you and your family. Call 800-342-9647 or live chat to schedule your free elder care assistance consultation. OCONUS/International? View calling options.