The Social Security Administration’s Representative Payment Program provides benefit payment management for beneficiaries who are incapable of managing their Social Security or Supplemental Security Income payments. The SSA appoints an individual to manage the Social Security payments on behalf of the beneficiary.
- Military Basics
- Transitioning & Retiring
- Casualty Assistance
- Moving & PCS
- Housing & Living
- Recreation, Travel & Shopping
- Special Needs
- Health & Wellness
- Safety From Violence & Abuse
- Financial & Legal
- Education & Employment
- I am a…
- Benefits & Resources
- Confidential Help
24/7/365 Access to Support
No matter where you serve or live, free and confidential help is available.
- In Crisis?
- Veterans/Military Crisis Line
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- DOD Safe Helpline - Sexual Assault Support
- 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline
- Domestic Abuse Victim Advocate Locator - Family Advocacy Program
In the United States, call 911 if you are in an emergency.
For those outside the United States, call your local emergency number.
- Browse By Program/Office
- Casualty & Mortuary Affairs
- Child & Youth Advocacy
- Children, Youth & Family Programs
- Commissary, Military Exchange & Lodging
- Family Advocacy Program
- Military Community Support Programs
- Military & Family Life Counseling
- Military Funeral Honors
- Morale, Welfare & Recreation (MWR)
- Office of Special Needs
- Personnel Accountability & Evacuations Operations
- Spouse Education & Career Opportunities
Contact Military OneSource
Information and support for service members and their families. About the Call Center.
How this benefit helps
The Representative Payee Program helps beneficiaries who can’t manage or direct the management of their benefits. The law requires most minor children and all legally incompetent adults to have payees.
The SSA can designate a Representative Payee to ensure needs are covered.
A payee’s main duties are to use the SSA benefits to pay for the current and future needs of the beneficiary, and properly save any benefits not needed to meet current needs.
How to access this benefit
If you are concerned that someone you know becomes incapable of managing or directing the management of his or her benefits, please call the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) to request an appointment to discuss your concerns.