- Military Basics
- Transitioning & Retiring
- Casualty Assistance
- Moving & PCS
- Housing & Living
- Recreation, Travel & Shopping
- Special Needs
- Health & Wellness
- Safety From Violence & Abuse
- Financial & Legal
- Education & Employment
- I am a…
- Benefits & Resources
- Confidential Help
24/7/365 Access to Support
No matter where you serve or live, free and confidential help is available.
- In Crisis?
- Veterans/Military Crisis Line
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- DOD Safe Helpline - Sexual Assault Support
- 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline
- Domestic Abuse Victim Advocate Locator - Family Advocacy Program
In the United States, call 911 if you are in an emergency.
For those outside the United States, call your local emergency number.
- Browse By Program/Office
- Casualty & Mortuary Affairs
- Child & Youth Advocacy
- Children, Youth & Family Programs
- Commissary, Military Exchange & Lodging
- Family Advocacy Program
- Military Community Support Programs
- Military & Family Life Counseling
- Military Funeral Honors
- Morale, Welfare & Recreation (MWR)
- Office of Special Needs
- Personnel Accountability & Evacuations Operations
- Spouse Education & Career Opportunities
Contact Military OneSource
Information and support for service members and their families. About the Call Center.
Career Coaching Helps Military Spouses Move Ahead4 minute read • Jan. 21, 2024
The Defense Department Spouse Education and Career Opportunities program provides free career coaching to all eligible military spouses. Spouses of active-duty service members in the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force and members of the reserve and National Guard (regardless of activation status) are eligible for SECO career coaching.
A coach can help you at any stage of your career — from looking for the right school to connecting with potential employers or growing or starting your own business. Call Military OneSource at 800-342-9647 to speak with a SECO career coach or advisor.
Free career coaching program
Each career coach has a national certification and a master’s degree in education, adult education, vocational counseling or human services. Many SECO career coaches are military spouses themselves, giving them valuable insights into the challenges military spouses experience in reaching their career goals. Because coaches are knowledgeable and experienced, they’re prepared to help military spouses use their education, training and skills to find a career.
Coaches offer resources, support and ideas to help you take the next step toward finding meaningful employment. They can help you:
Contact Military OneSource 24/7.
You can get personalized help 365 days a year by telephone and online.
Overseas? See OCONUS calling options.
Prefer to live chat? Start now.
- Identify your current skills and determine required skills for specific jobs.
- Clarify career goals and investigate career options.
- Choose an education path and learn how to pay for it.
- Prepare for a job search and maximize job search efforts.
- Get personalized feedback through video mock interviews.
- Learn how to self-market and build networks.
- Investigate the skills and training to become an entrepreneur.
Military spouses are assigned an individual career coach and will work with the same coach over time. Career coaches work remotely, making it easier to connect at a time convenient to military spouses.
Explore SECO coaching packages
Take advantage of specialized coaching packages developed to help you succeed in your chosen career path. Whether you are joining the workforce for the first time or looking to reenter with a competitive edge, SECO coaching packages are a fantastic place to start.
Some of the packages offered include:
- PCS Coaching Package: Learn how to keep advancing your career or education even if a PCS is in your future.
- Part-time Employment Package: Explore options for part-time work to enhance or follow an education plan, gain experience in a new field or balance family responsibilities.
- Helping Professions Coaching Package: Prepare for and build a career in a helping profession.
- Entrepreneurship Coaching Package: Take your business to the next level by determining your strengths and weaknesses, creating a 90-day plan and discovering business research and funding methods.
- Working Remotely Coaching Package: Learn about remote work opportunities and explore your fit for this portable career option.
Other packages include topics like career readiness, reentering the workforce, careers in education and health care, federal employment and more.
Call 800-342-9647 and speak with a SECO career coach from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Eastern time Monday through Friday or from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern time on Saturday. You can also connect directly with a SECO career professional about your unique career or education needs by clicking the Live Chat link at the top of the page. Career coaching services are not available on federal holidays.