When you are part of a military couple, you and your partner share the pride, benefits and challenges of service. Permanent change of station moves mean you get to experience new parts of the country and world. But these frequent moves can also bring stress. Deployments allow the service member to put their training into practice, but being far from home can be hard on a relationship.
Fortunately, couples counseling and many other free and confidential resources are available to help you and your partner build a relationship that can thrive amid these and other challenges.
Expert help for military couples
Free and confidential non-medical counseling and other programs provide professional support for military couples with relationship concerns.
- Non-medical counseling. You and your partner don’t have to figure it out on your own. Talk to someone who understands military life and its unique challenges. Non-medical counselors are experienced professionals who are available through:
- The Military and Family Life Counseling Program. This program offers both face-to-face and telehealth sessions to individuals and couples on or off the installation. Contact your installation’s Military and Family Support Center to connect with a non-medical counselor.
- Military OneSource. Sessions are available face-to-face, by phone and through secure online or video sessions. Call 800-342-9647 to request counseling 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Use one of these international calling options if you are outside the continental United States.
- Building Healthy Relationships specialty consultations. These consultations include coaching sessions, practical tools, resources and problem-solving techniques. Consultations are available as specific tracks that focus on the area of your relationship that needs attention. The tracks include:
- Building Healthy Relationships With Your Significant Other. This track targets the common issues military couples face and provides tools to support a strong relationship.
- Communication Refreshers. You and your partner will be given the resources to improve the way you communicate.
- Staying Connected While Away. You and your partner will learn ways to stay close and cope with being apart during deployments and other separations.
- Reconnecting After Deployment. This track is tailored to the period of reintegration after a deployment.
Building Healthy Relationships specialty consultations are available by phone or video by calling Military OneSource at 800-342-9647.
Virtual resources for military couples
These free tools and resources are available to you and your partner 24/7, on your own schedule.
- Love Every Day. Practice your communication skills and grow closer to your partner with this fun and interactive digital tool. You get personalized text messages for 21 days to bring you closer together and rekindle your romance.
- Relationship webinars. You’ll find webinars that focus on building healthy relationships, challenges facing dual-military couples and more.
- Military OneSource Relationships. Visit the webpage to find resources and articles on a range of relationship topics. Find tips for fortifying your relationship in the article, How to Strengthen Your Relationship: 14 Ways. Learn about marriage enrichment programs that the service branches offer. Read about these military benefits that can recharge your relationship or address specific concerns.
- National Healthy Marriage Resource Center. Use these free research-based resources and training courses to help you learn better ways to communicate, deal with conflict, parent and manage finances.
No relationship is perfect. But with attention and a commitment to one another, you and your partner can build a foundation strong enough to weather any challenge while providing you both with a source of happiness and fulfillment.