Military members, including retirees, are eligible to receive free tax consultation and preparation through Volunteer Income Tax Assistance locations.
Take command of your taxes. The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program, provided through the Internal Revenue Service, provides coordinators for the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard. VITA specialists are trained to address military-specific tax issues such as combat-zone benefits and applying Earned Income Credit guidelines. They oversee the operation of military tax programs worldwide and serve as the main IRS outreach for military personnel and their families.
Free MilTax Software
MilTax’s tax preparation and e-filing software is available mid-January to mid-October. Easy to use and guaranteed 100% accurate.
Military OneSource MilTax provides help finding VITA program locations where participants can self-file, sit down with a trained tax professional and complete their state and federal tax returns, or drop off their forms and return at a designated time to complete their free tax filing. VITA offices and Military OneSource offer free electronic filing to eligible service members and their families.
Military members, including retirees, are eligible to receive free tax consultation and preparation through VITA locations. Eligibility for MilTax services includes veterans up to 365 days after separation. MilTax services are always 100% free, with no hidden surprises.
Due to coronavirus, a number of VITA sites are closed for an undetermined period of time. With Military OneSource MilTax, you can file for free from anywhere, anytime. The MilTax preparation and e-filing software walks you through a series of questions to help you complete your tax return. This self-paced tax e-filing software allows you to complete and electronically file your federal and up to three state tax forms, access free technical assistance and receive 100% accurate calculations guaranteed by the software provider.
Before you visit
As tax day approaches, the VITA team is on your side. You can obtain tax advice, tax preparation, return filing and other tax services for free.
Find the VITA program site nearest you.
To have your tax returns prepared, bring the following items to a VITA site:
- Valid photo identification
- Social Security cards for the taxpayer, their spouse and dependents, if applicable
- Birth dates for primary and secondary earners and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (W-2, W-2G, and 1099-R forms) from all employers
- A 1099-G stating any income received from unemployment benefits in 2020, if applicable.
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (1099 forms)
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit of your refund
- Notice 1444 if you were eligible for, but did not receive, all or part of the Economic Impact Payment under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act of 2020; you will need the information on the notice to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your tax return
- Statements related to mortgages and homestead expenses (or rental property expenses to include insurance and property management)
- Work-related materials and expenses that have not been reimbursed by your employer (to include mileage information and vehicle maintenance)
- Documentation of donations and charitable expenses
- Other relevant data about income and expenses, such as information about move-related expenses that were not reimbursed, home remodeling expenses, total amount paid for day care ─ with your day care provider’s identifying number, tax ID or Social Security number ─ and utility costs that may be eligible for tax credits
- Last year’s federal and state returns, if available (not necessary, but extremely helpful)
Having these documents available will make this process easier and possibly increase the amount of your tax refund. Don’t forget that when filing taxes electronically on a married/joint return, both spouses must be present to sign and have appropriate identification.
As a member of the military family, you can obtain 100% free access to tax consultants and financial counselors with military expertise. Contact Military OneSource anytime at 800-342-9647, or live chat to take advantage of this benefit.