Family time is precious to service members and their families, so make the most of it by looking beyond phones and screens for simple activities together. Make family time count and try something as simple as going for a walk together. It will pay off in more ways than one.
- Take a family walk or visit a morale, welfare and recreation fitness facility together.
- Hike in a national park, or search for family excursions through your local Information, Tickets and Travel. You can also use ITT’s online booking site, American Forces TravelSM, to get your family to a fun hiking destination on a discount.
- Walk around your installation and become familiar with it.
- Find other families to walk with, especially if you just moved to the area.
- Start a military family walking club that meets once a week for a nice, long stroll.
Staying healthy together can strengthen your bodies and your family bonds. Read more to find out how getting fit as a family can help your communication and relationships. Swap out your daily screen time for an exercise session and get these benefits:
- Open communication with your family: Talk while you walk, (or run, skate or hike) and it may be easier to have those tough conversations or just learn something new about each other.
- Better health: Teach good habits that will last a lifetime. Your kids will thank you for it later.
- Improved moods: Feel those endorphins as a family, and create happy memories that’ll get you through the toughest times apart.
- Accountability: Working out as a family is much more motivating, and you’ll be less likely to wind up on the couch if you plan group activities.
Reach out to your morale, welfare and recreation facility to find out more about local fitness options, or simply for great recommendations on where to take your next walk. Take the first step toward family bonding.