In your role as guardian to an aging loved one, you may have heard about two programs that can reduce healthcare costs and stabilize an aging parent – The Department of Veterans Affairs Aid and Attendance benefit and Medicaid waiver programs.
A free, confidential call to a Military OneSource elder care consultant can help you better understand eligibility and benefits for your loved one.
Can I apply for the Aid and Attendance benefit for veterans?
The Veterans Affairs Aid and Attendance benefit:
- Helps with the costs of a variety of health care services including home care or care within a facility.
- Is paid to veterans who served at least one day during a time of war and who are already collecting a compensation or pension.
- Is also paid to surviving spouses of eligible veterans.
If you’re eligible, you can apply for the Aid and Attendance benefit at your regional Veterans Affairs office.
Contact Military OneSource 24/7.
You can get personalized help 365 days a year by telephone and online.
Overseas? See OCONUS calling options.
Prefer to live chat? Start now.
About Medicaid waiver programs
Medicaid waiver programs are available to senior citizens and adults with disabilities. Each state has a different name for its Medicaid waiver program, but many programs are generally known as home- and community-based services, or waivers.
Coverage and eligibility requirements vary from state to state. Elder care consultants can help you understand the benefits and eligibility where you live and can guide you through the application process.
Services and support provided through Medicaid waiver programs include:
- Home modifications
- Durable medical equipment
- Caregiver support programs
- Transportation serices
- Respite care
- Personal emergency reponse systems
- Home-delivered meals
- Case management
- In-home care or care within a facility
Program services are typically available for:
- Senior citizens
- Adults with physical, mental or developmental disabilities
- Persons with traumatic brain injuries
VA Aid and Attendance benefit and Medicaid waiver programs are two of many resources available to help you care for an aging loved one. Connect with a Military OneSource elder care consultant to determine the best plan and benefits for you and your family.
Call 800-342-9647 today to schedule your free, confidential consultation. OCONUS/International? View calling options.