My Military
OneSource App

Army PCS Moving Assistance

Army soldier relocating, movers unloading truck


The educational Army PCS Move app is available free for download from the Apple or Google Play stores with helpful information on entitlements, move types, move planning, claims and direct chat function with a government transportation agent at 800-521-9959. Search for ARMY PCS MOVE on either Google store (for Android) or the Apple store (for iPhone).

Soldiers and families preparing for a 2022 PCS move during May, June, July, August (potentially into September) should anticipate unexpected delays in scheduling of their household goods, or HHG, move. COVID-19 related resource challenges (shortage of local packers, loaders, drivers, trucks, warehouses, wood containers, as well as port/rail congestion) continues for the HHG industry for both Defense Department and non-DOD customers, which will cause up to four-six week delays in select areas for origin shipment pickups and destination deliveries.

Advance planning and preparation is the number one key to a successful move. Army updated policies and procedures to provide PCS orders 120 days prior to report dates to enable better forecasting and scheduling for the HHG industry. On 1 February 2022, Army Human Resources Command issued MILPER Message Number 22-045 which states: “Local commanders in the ran/grade of (COL/06) may approve requests for soldiers to have report dates to their new duty station adjusted up to 30 days early and up to 30 days later than the published report date on orders. For soldiers who are not able to meet the report timeline described above, military personnel divisions are authorized to defer soldiers up to 60 days from their original report date, as long as that does not occur 11 August – 15 October, 2022. This applies to active soldiers on assignment with report dates of 1 February – 30 September 2022.”

Getting to the transportation office immediately after orders receipt gives soldiers and civilians a better chance of scheduling a move that is convenient for them. Scheduling movers is done on a first come, first served basis, with limited availability of packing, pickup and shipping dates. If possible, soldiers and families should avoid targeting moves around the holidays and during the last week of May, June, July and August, as those weeks are even more congested, stretching industry capability to meet the demand.

Soldiers or families can avoid delays by conducting a personally procured move, or PPM, formerly known as a do-it-yourself, or DITY, move. The soldier’s #1 priority is obtaining full and empty weight tickets to determine the actual weight of HHG moved or stored to receive full compensation. The PPM monetary allowance increased from 95% to 100% of the estimated cost the government would have paid a moving company as well as adding a fuel surcharge, debris removal, third party service and payment of accessorial fees. The key form required to counsel, approve and process your PPM/DITY by your origin transportation office is a DD Form 2278, Application for Personally Procured Move and Counseling Checklist.

NOTE: Soldiers and families who hire their own moving company need to be careful of “fly-by-night companies” looking to profit from desperation moves by adjusting cost estimates. It is recommended to use a commercial mover who is registered with the federal government at the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration website, and to check the mover’s reviews on the Better Business Bureau website. Your primary responsibility is to select a reputable mover, ensure that you understand the terms and conditions of the contract, and understand the remedies that are available to you in case there is a problem. Ensure that you download the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration booklet Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move. This booklet will help you understand the documents that a mover will ask you to sign, and explains your rights if your household goods are lost or damaged. The movers are required to provide you with additional written information describing its procedure for handling any questions and complaints, and a telephone number you can call to obtain additional information about your move. Get it in writing from the commercial moving company that they will provide full and empty weight tickets for all trucks and containers used.

NOTE: Do NOT move or store any household goods prior to publication of PCS orders as there is no Joint Travel Regulations authority to reimburse you for those travel, transportation, and storage expenses. When in doubt, call your local transportation office or one of the customer service contacts below.

Soldiers can apply for higher household goods weight allowance not to exceed 18,000 pounds for unusual circumstances, such as large families or medical equipment required to support personnel with specials needs.

Exception to policy requests to exceed the authorized household goods weight allowance are submitted through the origin or destination transportation office either before, during or after a PCS move. The transportation office will then submit the request to the Department of the Army G-4 Transportation Policy Division for approval. Each request will be assessed on an individual basis and approved based on the soldier’s merit by the Department of the Army G-4 Transportation Policy Division staff.

Any increase must meet ALL of the following requirements:

  • Must be authorized only for a soldier in the pay grade O-5 or below
  • Is limited to a total household goods weight of 18,000 pounds
  • Must be documented in a written determination from the approval authority that failure to increase the soldier’s household goods weight allowance would create a significant hardship to the soldier or dependent(s)

The MilProvider app allows service providers to easily access and share Military OneSource information and products with those they support. Quickly find and share resources covering a range of topics, including navigating a PCS move.

Customer Service Contacts

If you have orders for a temporary duty or permanent change of station move, it is recommended that you contact your local transportation office as soon as you receive your orders for help arranging your move. The office will be able to help you schedule your move and deal with the more complicated entitlements and accounting procedures that are typically associated with a military relocation. The following is a list of additional contacts that can also assist with specific concerns and/or general moving questions:

Army Personal Property Call Center

Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern Time


  • Toll free: 800-521-9959
  • Commercial: 253-967-5093
  • DSN: 312-357-5093


Mailing address:

U.S. Army Claims Service
Center for Personnel Claims Support
50 Third Avenue, Suite 307
Fort Knox, KY 40121
United States


For claims pertaining to mold, please contact:

Phone: 301-677-9347 or 301-677-9214

Requests for retirement or separation extensions with a copy of your orders and justification should be submitted through your local transportation office.

If you are not located near a transportation office, send your retirement or separation extension with a copy of your orders and justification to:

USARMY Ft Belvoir ASC Mailbox JPPSOMA Entitlements Extension:

PPM reimbursement should be submitted through your local transportation office. You must obtain full and empty weight tickets. Do not move or store household goods before you have orders or you will not be reimbursed.


For more information and helpful tips for managing a claim, please see the following resources:

Additional Resources:

For more information and forms, please see the following resources:

Learn about military bases worldwide. Get installation overviews, check-in procedures, housing, neighborhood information, contacts for programs and services, photos and more.

Find an Installation