Legal – Benefits

Service members and their families can take advantage of a host of no-cost legal assistance services. Whether you need help making sense of a lease agreement, drafting an estate plan, seeking legal guidance on adoption or on more serious matters, Military OneSource is here for you, guiding you to the right resources.

Military legal assistance office

As a service member or member of a military family, you have access to free legal benefits and services through your military legal assistance office — for a wide range of circumstances. Specific legal services may vary by installation, but your legal assistance office can generally help with the following:

  • Powers of attorney. This document allows one person to legally act on your behalf on legal and money matters.
  • Reviewing leases and rental contracts. A lawyer can review your lease or rental contract before you sign it to be sure the terms are acceptable, and that the agreement includes any military rental protection clauses for your state.
  • Living will. With a living will, you can declare what medical treatment or life-sustaining measures you want or don’t want if you become seriously ill or injured.
  • Estate planning. Estate planning is an important part of retirement planning and can include drafting of a last will and testament, determining the transfer of your property after your death and designating your beneficiaries.
  • Family care plan. This serves as a blueprint, for military purposes, for how you want your family cared for while you’re deployed. A plan is required for single parents, dual-military couples with children, or if you care for a disabled or elderly family member. Legal assistance offices can review and advise on this matter.
  • Notary services. Notaries can administer oaths, witness signatures, take acknowledgements, sworn statements and affidavits, and more.
  • Consumer issues. If you’re having credit problems, believe you’re the victim of a scam or have a dispute over a consumer issue, legal assistance attorneys may help you communicate and negotiate with collection agencies, lawyers or other parties.
  • Family law. Get legal advice for a range of issues, including adoption, child support, marriage, divorce, separation, child custody, alimony, property division, name changes, paternity or legal benefits under the Uniformed Services Former Spouses’ Protection Act.
  • Service member rights and responsibilities. Legal assistance offices can help you understand the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, which provides specific protections for service members.
  • Civil lawsuits. In limited cases, you can get help with the preparation of legal correspondence, documents and pleadings.
  • Immigration and naturalization. You can get support and referrals for immigration, citizenship and naturalization matters, including alien registration, re-entry permits, passports, naturalization of a surviving spouse and citizenship of military children born abroad.

Visit your legal assistance office to find out more about the services offered at your installation.

Document translation services

Military OneSource provides document translation services for legal documents such as:

  • Leases
  • Marriage licenses
  • Adoption paperwork required by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
  • Birth certificates
  • School transcripts for service members and their families.

Documents that do not qualify include medical documents and fliers advertising installation events.

Still not sure you need legal assistance or how to proceed on a legal issue? Visit Military OneSource as your starting point or call 800-342-9647. OCONUS/International? Click here for calling options.

Installation Program Directory

Find programs and services at your local installation.