- Military Basics
- Transitioning & Retiring
- Casualty Assistance
- Moving & PCS
- Housing & Living
- Recreation, Travel & Shopping
- Special Needs
- Health & Wellness
- Safety From Violence & Abuse
- Financial & Legal
- Education & Employment
- National Guard
- Benefits & Resources
- I am a…
- Confidential Help
24/7/365 Access to Support
No matter where you serve or live, free and confidential help is available.
- In Crisis?
In the United States, call 911 if you are in an emergency.
For those outside the United States, call your local emergency number.
Contact Military OneSource
Information and support for service members and their families. About the Call Center.
Whether you’re stationed out of the country or just traveling overseas, paying with credit cards is generally a safer option than ATM cards. Check out these tips for protecting your money while you are abroad.
- Pick a universal card. Stick to widely accepted credit cards, and choose a company that makes using their card while traveling as easy as possible.
- Notify your issuer. If your credit card company sees your card being used in places you don’t normally go, it could result in your account being temporarily suspended. Save yourself that hassle by letting your card issuer know ahead of time that you are going abroad.
- Ask about fees. Before you depart, ask the issuer what fees they will charge for using your card abroad. If you have more than one credit card, take the one with the best rates for withdrawing money and making transactions.
- Keep the contact numbers for the card issuer handy. Look up your card issuer’s international phone number and keep it with you so you can get assistance quickly if you lose your card.
- Save your receipts. When buying things overseas, or anywhere for that matter, save your receipts so you have a paper record of what you purchase in case of a disputed charge or for whatever reason you believe you are entitled to a refund.
If you plan ahead, using your card overseas should not be a problem. Manage your spending safely and securely from anywhere with help from the financial resources provided by Military OneSource.