Resources for Financial Stress
Get the 4-1-1 on how to use military benefits and tools to ease your worries and reach your financial goals.
Cutting corners to stretch your paycheck? Your Basic Allowance for Housing not covering the rent? Spending more to buy even less food? You’re not alone. The COVID-19 pandemic, inflation and certain costs related to military life are pinching budgets. Help is here in one place so you can take charge to make ends meet and reduce financial stress. The Defense Department offers a variety of Courses to Increase Your Economic Security by preparing you for the financial side of MilLife and supporting your career goals and job search as you PCS.
Choose the topic, based on your situation, to access military benefits and services to help improve your quality of life.
Need Immediate Relief?
Because stuff happens, you may be making tough choices. Buy food or medicines? Skipping meals? Can’t pay rising utility bills? Maybe your temporary housing allowance ended before you found affordable housing. Find the resources you need now to stay afloat.JUMP TO RESOURCES
Plan Ahead To Reach Your Goals
Do you keep a budget in your head but aren’t able to stick to it? Paying some bills late? Everyone faces financial pressures at some point. Use these military-approved resources to help take control of your budget, improve your credit score, build an emergency fund and manage money with confidence.LEARN MORE
Resources To Secure Financial Well-Being
Everyone’s situation is different. The pandemic strained many people’s finances, making it harder to afford housing, food and child care. For others, everyday costs make it hard to save for college or retirement. Use these free resources to secure or reclaim your economic security.
For when you need help immediately:
- Learn more about the Basic Needs Allowance..
- Connect with military relief organizations.
- Learn how the commissaries can help you save.
- Talk to a financial counselor.
- See if you qualify for SNAP benefits.
- See if you qualify for WIC benefits.
- Find a food pantry.
- Learn about USDA nutrition assistance programs.
- Learn about affordable and licensed child care options.
Planning resources to help you reach your goals:
- Manage your money as a new service member.
- Learn to create a spending plan.
- Find interactive tools for planning and more.
- Get on a path to financial fitness.
- Learn more about housing flexibility options.
- Talk to a financial counselor.
- Learn more about the benefits available to you.
- Take control of your personal finances.
- Learn how to boost your credit score.
- Find ways to address that stress.
- Manage your money.
- Know your benefits and entitlements.
- Review your military financial support options.
- Financial Resources for your Military Career.
Resources for Specific Situations
Sometimes one particular thing can upset your budget. Remember your military benefits offer you support to take on potential budget busters, whether it's a move, rising food costs or education or training costs for MilSpouses.
The Money Side of a PCS
Paying for Healthy Food
See How Leadership Has Your Six
A military family's economic security is critical to mission readiness. See the changes leadership is making to support you and your family: