Plan Your Trip With Space-A Travel

Plane taking off on runway

Note: Effective March 21, 2020, Air Mobility Command temporarily suspended most Space-A travel due to COVID-19.

Service members and their families can use Space-Available flights – formally known as Military Airlift Command or MAC flights – to travel around the country and world at little to no cost. Though sometimes unpredictable, military flights are perfect for families with flexible plans and limited travel budgets. With the right planning and documentation, Space-A travel can be the best way to take a trip with your family.

Space-A Tips and Tricks

Learn how to take Space-A flights like a seasoned pro with these seven tips.

Space-A travel basics

These flights are not commercial, but rather military flights with a mission. That means there are certain restrictions to travel, including:

  • Only service members, retirees and their families are eligible. Only with certain qualifications are reservists, National Guardsmen and family members without an accompanying active-duty sponsor permitted.
  • Flights are typically free of charge, but you should contact your closest Air Mobility Command, or AMC, passenger terminal or the terminal at the location you intend to depart from for specific information.
  • Most terminals have a Facebook page where they post flight information, including their 72-hour flight schedule.

Space-Available travel eligibility

Once you sign up for a Space-A journey, you’ll be put into a category that determines your priority for a flight. A complete listing of eligible passengers by category is contained in DoD Instruction 4515.13. For the most recent instruction, search the DoD Directives Division website for “Air Transportation Eligibility.” Categories include:

  • Category I: Emergency Leave Unfunded Travel.
  • Category II: Accompanied Environmental and Morale Leave, or EML.
  • Category III: Ordinary Leave, Relatives, House Hunting Permissive Temporary Duty, Medal of Honor Holders and Foreign Military.
  • Category IV: Unaccompanied EML.
  • Category V: Permissive Temporary Duty (Non-House Hunting), Students, Dependents, Post Deployment/Mobilization Respite Absence and Others.
  • Category VI: Retired, Dependents, Reserve, Reserve Officers’ Training Corps, Nuclear Propulsion Officer Candidate Program and Civil Engineer Corps members.

Prepare for your Space-A flight

AMC has a travel page that includes the following important information about Space-A travel. You should review this travel page for up-to-date information, including what type of identification is required for you and your family, baggage allowance for checked and hand carried baggage, and prohibited items.

  • Travel instructions: travel eligibility; locations; required travel documents; registration, flight schedule and checking-in information.
  • AMC Form 140, Space Available Travel Request (fill out a form online and email it to your desired AMC passenger terminal)
  • Listing of Facebook pages for stateside and overseas locations.
  • AMC passenger terminal contact information.
  • Various travel information links.
  • Legal information for Space-A travel.
  • Operations security for social media and travelers.

Fly commercial with TSA Precheck

If Space-A travel isn’t right for your plans, take advantage of TSA Precheck to expedite your time at the airport when flying commercial. Use your Department of Defense ID as your known traveler number.

You’ll bypass long security lines without removing your shoes or jacket or taking your laptop from your bag. Family members under the age of 12 can pass through expedited screening with you.

4 Tips for Transition and Career Success

Service member looking into sunset

Making the transition into civilian life is exciting but does take preparation. Make sure you are well-prepared by following these four tips.

Receive personalized support for your transition.

Military OneSource assists in easing transition stress with our specialty consultation for transitioning veterans.

  1. Maximize your individual transition plan: Make the most of your individual transition plan. Your ITP is your transition road map, and you will develop one during pre-separation counseling. If used correctly, your ITP will help guide you through tough decisions like your next career move, meeting your financial goals or continuing your education. Develop your plan with care and thought toward your goals and objectives for any areas of your life affected by the transition. Update and refine action steps to help keep you focused on your goals.
  2. Stay motivated: Bring your “can-do” attitude to this next step in life. Approach civilian life with the same strength, curiosity and courage with which you carried out your military mission.
  3. Practice networking: Transition assistance programs emphasize the importance of networking for your job search and career development. Networking simply means talking to people about your career goals. Seek out people who may be able to help you with advice, job leads and contacts, and let them know about your skills and employment goals. For helpful tips on networking, visit the Department of Labor sponsored CareerOneStop website.
  4. Show confidence: Take time to recognize and appreciate the scope of knowledge, skills and abilities you acquired in the military. It will be easier to present yourself to any prospective employer when you show confidence in your military experience. Not only do you have exceptional technical skills and training, you’ve also mastered the military traits of good discipline, teamwork, leadership and the ability to put mission first. Employers value these qualities in applicants regardless of the nature of the work.

Practice these four simple steps to help boost your personal and career development and ease your transition from military to civilian life.

Read This: Must-Dos for Separating

Soldier saluting

You’ve made the decision. Now it’s time to make the most of it. There’s a list of tasks to accomplish, and most of them come with a due date:

A Full Year of Support

As you transition into civilian life, you and your family have full access to Military OneSource for 365 days after separation or retirement.

Overseas? See OCONUS calling options. Prefer to live chat? Start now.

  • DO get your plans in place. Think about your post-military goals and the income you’ll need. Start researching how your military experience could translate to a civilian career. Learn about your installation’s Transition Assistance Program available to help you and your family prepare for a successful transition.
  • DO start your Transition Assistance Program early. You must complete a mandatory initial counseling session with a transition counselor and complete pre-separation counseling no less than 365 days prior to your separation or retirement date. During TAP, you’ll also receive briefings from the Department of Defense, the Department of Veterans Affairs, and the Department of Labor. For extra assistance in your transition, check out Military OneSource’s specialty consultation for transitioning veterans. And remember, you can attend TAP more than once!
  • DO schedule a final medical and dental exam. You’ll need a mandatory, final medical and dental exam with your installation’s medical clinic 90 days before you separate.
  • DO schedule the move of your household goods. The earlier, the better. You’ll have one year after leaving active duty to complete your final move. The sooner you can schedule, the better your chances of getting the dates you want.
  • DO talk to your spouse about participating in the Military Spouse Transition Program. This program is designed to guide military spouses through the military to civilian transition.


  • DON’T wait until the last minute. Give yourself plenty of time to complete all the tasks required. Many have to be completed 365 days before you separate.

Re-enlist, Reserves, or Transition? 4 Things to Consider

Soldier testing new technology

Maybe you’re just ending your first tour of duty. Maybe you’ve fulfilled your obligation to your country. Now, you’re at a crossroads – re-enlist, reserves, transition out? How do you know you’re making the right call?

A Full Year of Support

As you transition into civilian life, you and your family have full access to Military OneSource for 365 days after separation or retirement.

Overseas? See OCONUS calling options. Prefer to live chat? Start now.

This is going to affect your future, so think it through. Take stock, review your options. Here are four things you need to assess to make your best decision:

What benefits will you have available?

Benefits differ, depending on whether you’re separating, transitioning to the reserves, or retiring. The Department of Veterans Affairs offers benefits briefings as part of your transition assistance. Here are some of the benefits you may be able to receive:

  • Transition assistance for active duty, Guard and reserve, wounded service members and more.
  • A steady paycheck, if you decide to continue your service in the reserves
  • Education and training opportunities
  • Home loans and housing assistance
  • Life insurance
  • Medical services can be accessed for up to two years after discharge for some service members.
  • Commissary and exchange privileges are available for retirees, National Guardsmen and reservists.

If you’ve been injured during service, you may receive extra care and support. Learn about wounded warrior specialty consultations, health care, benefits and more.

Living costs outside the military

Civilian life has its expenses and its tradeoffs. No more basic allowance for housing, but you can move anywhere you want without orders. You won’t have that steady military paycheck and job security, but you can go for that civilian job you’ve always wanted. Here are some of the most important costs of civilian life to prepare for:

  • Housing will probably be your biggest monthly expense, but you may be entitled to VA home loans as well as benefits to help you make your final move.
  • Health care. Veterans who aren’t enrolled in VA health care will need health insurance. That can mean monthly premiums and out-of-pocket costs. TRICARE Reserve Select is available worldwide for qualified Selected Reserve and their families.
  • Saving for retirement. Setting aside some money every month for retirement is vital. Got a job on the horizon? Compare the employer’s plan with the military’s retirement plan. Use this military compensation calculator to see what your military retirement would look like.

A job and income after service

A good civilian job makes all the difference in a successful transition out of the military. You’ll find lots of assistance and resources available – including some on this site – to help you line up a good job.

  • When you’re making the decision to separate, start planning for employment as soon as possible, ideally about a year out.
  • A big part of pre-separation planning is Career and Employment Readiness.
  • Check out these tips for 12 Ways to Land a Civilian Job, and remember you have access to Military OneSource assistance for 365 days after separation or retirement.

Civilian living versus military life

You’re not just changing jobs or making a move – you’re changing the way you and your family live. Sure you’re used to change, but this can be different. Be prepared.

  • You’ll be leaving behind close friends. Workplace camaraderie will probably be different. Job security may be different too. But on the other hand, no more orders.
  • Some people choose to combine military and civilian life and transition to the reserves.
  • Talk to your family before you make your decision. Don’t underestimate the impact transitioning will have on them. Listen to their concerns and opinions. List the positive and negative aspects of the changes and consider which are most important for your family.

The takeaway? Don’t rush a decision to avoid less-than-ideal orders. At the same time, don’t re-enlist just to avoid the uncertainty of leaving. If you’re still undecided, contact your installation’s Transition Assistance Program office for more guidance on the transition process and next steps.

Whatever you decide, once you’ve made your decision, be all in. You’ve done your homework and can move ahead with confidence.

12 Situations Where You Can Get Free Legal Help

Gavel on desk

The information contained on this website is designed to educate and inform service members and their families on their personal legal affairs. Nothing contained in the website is a substitute for the competent legal advice of a licensed attorney. Service members and their families seeking legal advice should consult the staff of the nearest installation Legal Assistance Office.

As a service member or eligible family member, you have access to free legal benefits. Through your legal assistance office, you can receive free legal services such as a lease agreement review, estate planning or advice if you get sued.

Get Free Legal Help

Specific legal services may vary by installation, but your legal assistance office can generally help with the following:

  1. Powers of attorney. A power of attorney allows one person to legally act on your behalf on legal and money matters. For example, a power of attorney document can appoint someone to release your household goods shipment if you’re leaving before your furniture will ship or bank on your behalf while you are deployed.
  2. Lease and rental contract reviews. A lawyer can review your lease or rental contract before you sign it to be sure the terms are acceptable, and that the agreement includes any military rental protection clauses for your state.
  3. Living will. With a living will, you can declare what medical treatment or life-sustaining measures you want or don’t want if you become seriously ill or injured.
  4. Estate planning. This is an important part of retirement planning and can include:
    • Drafting of a will, a legally binding document describing how you want your property and belongings distributed after your death
    • Designating your beneficiaries
    • Planning ahead should you become mentally or physically disabled
  5. Family care plan. This serves as a blueprint, for military purposes, for how you want your family cared for while you’re deployed. A plan is required for single parents, dual-military couples with children, or if you care for a disabled or elderly family member. Legal assistance offices can review and advise on this matter.
  6. Notary services. Notaries can administer oaths, witness signatures, take acknowledgments, sworn statements and affidavits, and more.
  7. Consumer issues. If you’re having credit problems, believe you’re the victim of a scam or have a dispute over a consumer issue, legal assistance attorneys may help you communicate and negotiate with collection agencies, lawyers or other parties.
  8. Tax assistance. Many legal assistance offices operate tax centers or provide income tax return preparation to help with filing federal, state or local taxes.
  9. Family law. Get legal advice for a range of issues, including adoption, child support, marriage, divorce, separation, child custody, alimony, property division, name changes, paternity or legal benefits under the Uniformed Services Former Spouses’ Protection Act.
  10. Service member rights and responsibilities. Legal assistance offices can help you understand the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, which provides specific protections for service members.
  11. Civil lawsuits. In limited cases, you can get help with the preparation of legal correspondence, documents and pleadings.
  12. Immigration and naturalization. You can get support and referrals for immigration, citizenship and naturalization matters, including alien registration, reentry permits, passports, naturalization of a surviving spouse and citizenship of military children born abroad.

Pay for Legal Advice on These Matters

The legal assistance office is restricted from providing help and advice in some circumstances, including the following:

  • Providing legal advice to third parties or opposing parties on the same issue
  • Claims against the government
  • Serious criminal matters
  • Citations for driving under the influence
  • Legal matters concerning your privately owned business
  • In-court representation

While Military OneSource does not offer legal assistance, you can call or visit your legal assistance office to find out more about the services offered at your installation.

The information contained on this website is designed to educate and inform service members and their families on their personal legal affairs. Nothing contained in the website is a substitute for the competent legal advice of a licensed attorney. Service members and their families seeking legal advice should consult the staff of the nearest installation Legal Assistance Office.

Military Retirement: Do You Have This Covered?

Soldier with flag

Transitioning to civilian life is just like everything else in military life. Doing it successfully takes preparation. Give yourself plenty of time to complete all the required tasks before you officially retire. There are four basic steps to take:

1. Separation requirements: Must-dos before your retirement date

Do you have questions about saving for retirement?

Contact Military OneSource to speak with a financial counselor.

Overseas? See OCONUS calling options.

Prefer to live chat? Start now.

Start with the Department of Defense Transition Assistance Program website. You’ll find detailed information about transition assistance and how to connect with your service branch’s program. You can also contact your installation’s TAP office.

Initial Counseling and Pre-separation counseling: You need to complete an Individualized Initial Counseling session and Pre-Separation counseling at least 365 days prior to your separation or retirement date, but you can schedule it up to 24 months before your retirement date.

Core Transition Curriculum: As part of the Transition Assistance Program, you will have the opportunity to attend mandatory briefings on transition preparation, employment preparation, and the benefits offered from the Department of Veterans Affairs. Learn more about the core requirements on the DOD TAP website.

Final medical exam: Schedule your mandatory, final medical and dental exam with your installation’s medical clinic 90 days before you separate.

Scheduling final move: You will have one year after leaving active duty to complete your final move. But the sooner you can schedule, the greater the chance of getting the dates you want. Learn more under the benefits section in number 3 below.

2. Plan your post-retirement budget: Know what you’ll have to work with

Review your military retirement pay, benefits and expenses to plan your budget and calculate what you’ll have each month.

Income: You’ll receive one of three types of non-disability retirement pay:

  • Final basic pay – for service members with an entry date prior to Sept. 8, 1980.
  • High 36 – for service members with an entry date between Sept. 8, 1980 and Jul. 31, 1986, or for those with dates after Aug. 1, 1986 and before Jan. 1, 2018 who didn’t elect REDUX or opt in to the Blended Retirement System.
  • CBS/REDUX – for service members with an entry date after Jul. 31, 1986 who accepted a mid-career bonus at the 15-year mark and agreed to remain active duty for at least 20 years.

Note: Service members enrolled in the new Blended Retirement System will have slightly different retirement payments than the three outlined above, including a different monthly retired pay formula, a possible lump sum payment taken at time of departure, and a Thrift Savings Plan. Learn more in these frequently asked questions regarding the Blended Retirement System.

Payouts: Federal and state taxes will be withheld from your retirement check. Also remember medical and dental premiums, and Survivor Benefit Plan premiums.

Annual adjustments: Just like your active-duty pay, your retirement pay adjusts annually based on the cost of living to protect your income against inflation.

3. Benefits you’ve earned as a retiring service member

As an active-duty service member, you receive a number of benefits. What happens to them when you retire?

TRICARE: Retiring service members must enroll themselves and eligible family members or risk losing TRICARE benefits. This includes family members with Medicare Part A and B. For more information on health care plan options for retiring service members and families, visit the TRICARE website.

Dental and/or Vision: You may choose to enroll in to dental and/or vision insurance through the FEDVIP benefits program You can enroll during the annual open season each fall, or whenever you have a qualifying life event. Dental and vision plans have a monthly premium based on the plan you choose. Find more details at the Benefeds website.

Final moving expense: You have one calendar year from your retirement date to use your last government-paid move anywhere within the U.S. or to your home of record outside the country. Check with your installation’s Personnel Support Office for information.

Life insurance: Your Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance plan continues uninterrupted for 120 days after separation. During that time, you can convert your life insurance to Veterans’ Group Life Insurance. You can still convert after 120 days, but you will have to prove that you’re in good health. Visit the VA life insurance webpage for more information.

Commissary and exchange privileges: You and your family have the same access to both facilities after retirement. The only exception – overseas privileges may be subject to a Status of Forces Agreement.

GI Bill/Education and Training: Depending on which GI Bill you have, and when you leave the service, your GI Bill may be good for 10 years, 15 years or indefinitely. Get the details at your installation’s education office or visit the VA education webpage for more information.

Home loans: Find out about a VA loan to purchase or build your dream retirement home. To qualify, you must have served at least 24 months and have an honorable or general discharge. Call 800-827-1000 or visit the VA housing assistance webpage.

The Survivor Benefit Plan: The plan provides a portion of your retirement pay to your spouse or other eligible person after your death. As long as you have an eligible spouse or child, you’ll automatically be enrolled, and at the maximum level unless you elect otherwise. Contact your installation TAP office or the Defense Finance and Accounting Service with any questions.

4. Finally, prepare for civilian life.

You’ve got military life down cold. What’s it like being a civilian? Time will tell. The best way to prepare is to know what to expect and have some strategies for success.

Saying goodbye: You’ve been through enough moves to know what it’s like to leave friends who feel more like family. But these days, social media makes it easy to keep in touch.

Job searching: Ace that interview. Get a head start. You can attend a Transition Assistance Program employment workshop on your installation as early as two years before retirement.

Miss the lifestyle? It’s not as farfetched as it sounds. You’ve been in a tight, exclusive community with its own unique lifestyle. Look into joining a military organization that can keep you connected and in the loop on retirement issues.

Retirement is the first step to your next successful life and career. Know what’s ahead, be prepared, and enjoy.

Understanding the Survivor Benefit Plan

Soldiers folding flag over casket

The Survivor Benefit Plan, or SBP, allows retired service members to allocate a portion of their retired pay to a spouse or other eligible beneficiary after their death. Every retiring service member with an eligible spouse or child receives automatic enrollment in the Survivor Benefit Plan at the maximum level.

Only retirees pay into the Survivor Benefit Plan. It is not an insurance policy — it’s an annuity.

If you are on active duty and have a spouse and/or children, they receive automatic protection under the Survivor Benefit Plan at no cost to you, should you die while still on active duty. If you are divorced, your former spouse may receive benefits instead of your current spouse based on the requirements a court-ordered divorce decree has imposed, so it’s important to ensure you make the appropriate changes to your policy.

Learn how the Survivor Benefit Plan works.

Enrollment eligibility

As you prepare for retirement, you will be required to make a decision about the Survivor Benefit Plan and must sign your DD Form 2656 before your retirement date. Here are the available election types:

  • Spouse only — This is the most common election. If you have an eligible spouse and you choose anything less than full coverage, the spouse’s notarized signature must be obtained for the election to be considered valid. You may choose coverage for a spouse or a former spouse, but not both. A former spouse is not automatically enrolled. If a former spouse is elected, the spouse’s concurrence is not required.
  • Spouse and children — The spouse is the primary beneficiary. Children receive the Survivor Benefit Plan only if the spouse loses eligibility for it. The children are covered in equal shares as long as they are your legal, unmarried children and are under the age of 18 or, if older than 18, are enrolled in an accredited college or university. Children enrolled in higher education are eligible until they reach age 22 or leave school. Incapacitated or disabled children are eligible if the physical or mental disability existed before their 18th birthday or was incurred before age 22 while the child was pursuing a full-time course of study.
  • Children only — Children are eligible up to age 18, or 22 if full-time, unmarried students. The 55% annuity is divided equally among eligible children.
  • Former spouse or former spouse and children — This is similar to the spouse and children election, but it’s for former spouse and children. Only the eligible children of the service member’s former marriage qualify for coverage.
  • Person with insurable interest — As a retiring, unmarried member, you can choose coverage for someone in whom you have a legitimate insurable interest. Examples could be a brother or sister or a child who is beyond eligibility for child coverage.
  • No beneficiary — If you do not have any eligible beneficiaries, you are not required to elect coverage.

Student eligibility for the military SBP

The SBP’s child annuity payments typically end when recipients turn 18. Children are eligible to continue receiving payments until the end of the school year during which they turn 22, as long as they remain unmarried and attend one of the following full time:

  • High school
  • Accredited trade school
  • Accredited technical school
  • Accredited vocational institute
  • Accredited college or university

The certification process has gotten easier for students age 18 and older covered as a child annuitant under the military Survivor Benefit Plan.

The changes went into effect in May 2020, highlighted by the following:

  • A simpler certification form
  • A student’s ability to self-certify
  • An extension of the certification deadline to annually instead of each term/semester

SBP annuity payments for qualifying high school and college students are not affected by school closures in the wake of coronavirus disease 2019.

The DOD simplified the process of students becoming certified in other ways, including:

  • Students will now self-certify. So they will no longer need a school official’s signature or school documentation when they certify full-time attendance. With COVID-19 school closures, this truly simplifies the process.
  • Simpler Child Annuitant’s Certification for Previous Attendance Letter for certifying past attendance.

The Defense Finance and Accounting Service details the new certification process on their website, including all the changes. Make sure to complete the updated Child Annuitant’s School Certification form.

The DOD is taking steps to make it easier to validate each student’s eligibility with an online option for uploading and submitting school certification forms. Use the AskDFAS online upload tool.

Enrollment period — It is important to make a decision about your Survivor Benefit Plan election before you retire because it is difficult to make changes after enrollment. Consider making your SBP election 60 to 90 days before you retire. Elections that are not made by the date the member is placed on the retired list result in automatic SBP coverage.

Terminating coverage — As a plan participant, you have a one-year window to terminate SBP coverage between the second and third year following the date you began to receive retired pay. However, once you terminate SBP coverage, it cannot be reinstated. Coverage for an insurable interest may be terminated at any time.

You can get more information about plan basics from the Office of the Secretary of Defense Military Compensation page.

Employment and Education – The Essentials

Hiring Our Hero poster.

Re-entering the civilian world is often the perfect time to get your degree or find that great civilian job. As a service member, you’ve proven your commitment, discipline and resourcefulness. Now the task is making sure those military accomplishments look their best on a civilian resume or transcript.

Consider taking these steps as you explore your options:

Explore tools for self-assessment.

Finding a career that matches your skills and interests is key to job satisfaction. A satisfying job gives you a sense of accomplishment and makes good use of your skills. If you’re not sure about your career path after the military, take advantage of our career-related articles or some of the self-assessment tools available to you. These strategies can help you find a meaningful career, not just a job.

Relevant Articles:

Relevant Resources:

Credential your military experience.

You have skills that employers value: discipline, work ethic and teamwork. Your military experience has also given you training that you can put to work in the civilian world. But sometimes, it can be a challenge to explain military training in terms civilian employers can understand. That’s where “Credentialing Opportunities On-Line,” or COOL, comes in. The COOL program helps you translate your training into civilian credentials and align your experience with what employers want.

Relevant Articles:

Relevant Resources:

Write a winning resume.

Your resume is likely to be the first information about you that an employer will see. With your background of military service, you already have impressive skills and knowledge. However, you might need some help marketing your experience on one sheet of paper to stand out. The following articles and resources provide tips on what to highlight, along with helpful resume-building tools.

Relevant Articles:

Relevant Resources:

Review tips for finding the right job.

Ready to trade in your experience for a great job? Just like everything, it’s all about readiness and attitude. Start early. Be prepared. Go for it.

Relevant Articles:

Relevant Resources:

Learn about your benefits and resources.

As you prepare for civilian employment, you’ll discover a world of services and programs committed to helping you transition from the military to a meaningful career. We’ve got your back. Here are resources you’ll need to go back to school or start a new job. You can tap into employment resources to connect with employers looking for veterans, employment benefits and assistance programs, and more tools to find success before and after you leave the military.

Relevant Articles:

Relevant Resources:

Information is power when it comes to a successful separation or transition from the military. Military OneSource provides an array of services to help you conclude your life as an active-duty service member and advance to the next step. Call 800-342-9647 for specialty consultations or to connect to a variety of other resources. OCONUS/Overseas? Click here for calling options.

Seven Signs You May Need Extra Help Transitioning to Civilian Life – And Where to Get It

Man with his dog admiring the sunset

Are you separating or retiring from the service in the near future? Are you actively transitioning to civilian life? With so many components of transition, you may feel like you could use some extra help. Maybe you’re looking for support to manage stress or logistics. Or perhaps you just need someone to give you that extra encouragement to set goals to get through your to-do list.

Whatever the case may be, Military OneSource is here to help – and is your anchor to Department of Defense resources for up to 365 days after your last day of service. If you’re not sure if you could benefit from extra support navigating your transition, check out the following signs:

    1. Do you know where to start? When you prepare for the transition process, you may not know where to begin. It’s common to have trouble setting goals for this next life stage. After getting some of your questions answered by a trained consultant, you may have the tools to make a game plan and execute.
    2. Do you want to know more about the benefits you’re eligible for during and after your transition? There are many benefits available to veterans, but how do you know which ones apply to you? Veteran benefits include disability, education, health care, housing, life insurance and more. It’s a lot to consider, and sometimes these benefits have specific timeframes and deadlines you need to know.
    3. Are you trying to navigate civilian work life? Adjusting to the civilian workforce can be a big challenge when transitioning from the military. There are resources and experts available to help you translate your military skills into civilian terms, apply for jobs, learn how to write a resume, practice your interview skills and more.

Ease Transition Stress With Personalized Support

Call Military OneSource 24/7 or start a live chat to schedule an appointment with a Transitioning Veterans consultant.

Overseas? See OCONUS calling options.

Prefer to live chat? Start now.

  1. Do you want to go back to school? Pursuing higher education may be a goal of yours in this next stage of life, but maybe you have a roadblock you want to overcome. There are certain things to consider, like identifying what type of school you’re interested in, how to finance your degree and whether you should attend online or in-person classes.
  2. You don’t know what to do with your Thrift Savings Plan. If you invested in a TSP, do you know what to do with it once you’re out of the military? Depending on your situation, there are several options regarding your TSP.
  3. You are looking for specific information on VA health care. Health care is a benefit for all service members. Now that you’re transitioning to civilian life, you may be looking for information on coverage for you and your family. Your separation or retirement status – among other factors – determines your eligibility for VA health care benefits.
  4. You’re a military spouse who is looking for access to tailored transition information. Transitioning from military to civilian life impacts the entire family. Now that your partner is leaving the military, what does that mean for you? There are resources for military spouses. By exploring, learning and preparing, you can take charge of your family’s new chapter in civilian life.

Personalized Transition Support Is Available

Military OneSource provides support during this transition phase, whether you are a service member or military spouse.

  • Transitioning Veterans is a specialty consultation for service members looking to get answers about their own transition. A professional consultant will provide personalized sessions to help you navigate your transition to your next chapter. Service members can get this extra help 12 months out from retirement or separation or within 365 days of your last day of service.
  • The Military Spouse Transition Program supports military spouses through the military spouse experience as you step into military life until you step out of it. MySTeP empowers spouses with resources, benefits, programs and more to take command of the family’s transition.

Call Military OneSource at 800-342-9647 or start a live chat to speak to a consultant about your military transition. OCONUS/International? Click here for calling options.